'86 Mustang for future shows

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

A friend of mine has a beautiful '86 Mustang GT convertible. He bought it with modifications such as 17" wheels/tires and some under the hood performance upgrades. Other than that it's stock. He still has a few years before the car can compete so he's looking for info on showing the car. The wheels/tires can be swapped easily enough but some of the more permanent engine modifications are difficult. I haven't seen the car yet but, it may be possible to take point deductions based on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. Any thoughts?

Guest abh3usn

My question is after swaping the wheel/tire combination, should he take the point deduction under the hood since the rest of the car is stock and will show well. Or, should we attempt to return the visible non-stock items under the hood to stock apperance? He has things like aftermarket headers, under-drive pullys, chorme exc. to prepare for competition when the car turns 25 years old. Sorry the question wasn't clear.

If he wants to eventually compete with the car in AACA, I would recommend restoring everything as it was originally from the factory. Anything that is not as it was from the factory will be subject to deductions. Every point that you give up is that one additional point that can cost you in competition.

Other than that, it is his car, he should do what he wants to do with it.

Matt is correct about if you are planning on showing it at a national meet, then yes you really need to restore it back to the way it came from the factory.

If you are only planning on going to local type meets with it then it depends on which meet you go to. There are some AACA local region/chapter meets that are strict as national on modifications, then others will let some things slide.

Then other show who knows. If it is people's choice to determine than anything goes. There was a show near here that was hosted by an orgiazation and a nearby street rod club judged it. There was classes for stock Chevy II/Novas and one for modified Chevy II/Novas. My dad and I had the only two stock Chevy IIs in the meet. A guy with a Chevy II with ladder bars, full rollcage, street drag tires took home 1st place!!!:mad: Obviously modifications didn't matter there.:confused: