64' Riviera engine blew up in 84'

Guest jchagop

Guest jchagop

I am the grandson of the original owner of my 64 Riv. He got the white exterior with baby blue interior and has the "Built Expressly For" plate mounted on the dash with his name inscribed on it. I love this car. The engine, 425 cu. in. "caught fire" in 84' and was replaced while my grandmother owned it.

The block numbers now read: B1196914 J

The drivers side manifold numbers are: B348347-3 L

The passenger side manifold numbers are: B1361860-2F

Can someone tell me more about this engine? Is it a 425? Year?

Also, the car is in desperate need of carburetor work. Should I try to get mine rebuilt or try to find a replacement? The car is in excellent shape and I want to keep it as original as possible. I do however miss the days when we drove this thing in high school and it was the fastest car around. Now it bogs down off the line. It doesnt pull a constant vacuum while idling and runs rich yet reliable. Any advice? I am in San Diego.

The following link will tell you where to look for what engine you have. The casting numbers you quoted were used for a number of years.

The engine is probably from a '64,'65, or '66; they're the ones that would bolt up to the transmission. Buick used a fairly simple code for engine ID. The first of two letters told the year - K=64, L=65, and M=66. The second letter told the cubic inch displacement. T = 4bbl 401, and W = 4bbl 425 (which was standard on all '64 Rivieras.) If you find a number other than a T or a W, let me know and I'll decode it for you; it could be a block from a two barrel engine or something like that.

The engine serial number matches the VIN of the vehicle and will tell you what year and model the original car was.

Link: Team Buick

If the carburetor wasn't part of the fire, have it rebuilt. Nothing aftermarket uses the hot air choke nor will fit the stock air cleaner.

I'd advise you of a couple if things to do to get this project really off the ground:

1) Join the Riviera Owners Assn and purchase the CD of all of the tech articles that have been published over the past 24 years

2) Buy yourself a factory Service Manual for '64. It will become your restoration bible.

The "Built Expressly for ..." plaque came in the owner's packet. It was up to the individual to have it engraved.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest jchagop

Ok, this is great!

The block number I gave you is on both sides between the spark plugs.

Facing the engine from the front of the car, the numbers printed across the top edge of the engine read:

851 W K (these letters were upside down) then on the right corner the numbers match the VIN number that is also printed on the plate bolted near the top driver side vent near the windshield.

So, I guess the engine wasn't replaced but rather rebuilt after the fire, and its the original 1964 (K) 425 cu in (W)?

Do you have any points of contact for a carb rebuild near San Diego, CA?

Thanks so much,

Jon

Jon,

Congratulations: A numbers matching '64 Riviera.

Are you a member of the Riviera Owners Assn? The regional coordinator in the San Diego area or one of the other members from around there would be the best bet on telling you about someone who could rebuild your carburetor. If the car still has the original carburetor, it should be a Carter AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) with one of two numbers: 3665 or 3635. The number is on the face of the front passenger side bolt down tab

You might also call Larry Daisey in Rivierside. He might have a good carburetor for you (to replace if the one you have if it was in the fire,) or perhaps he could probably rebuild it for you or tell you of someone around San Diego who can.

There are usually ads in the classified section of the Riview (ROA's bi-monthly magazine) for carburetor rebuilding services. The one service that I know of and would recommend, The Carburetor Shop, is in Eldon, MO but John (he's on this forum as Carb King) might be a little far away for you.

Ed

Guest jchagop

Thanks Ed,

I joined the ROA in August last year when I couldn't find the turn signal switch. In fact I think you may have helped me back then too. Id like to reach out to the San Diego area coordinator, and will try to track down Larry Daisey. Thanks

The carburetor is a Carter AFB with the Carter Climatic Control module on the passenger side. The driver side number is: 0-1460, and the front plate reads: 3633S AM3

what does 465 indicate in Wildcat 465?

Thanks again!

Jon

Jon,

Wildcat 465 was Buick's method of engine identification for the 425 cubic inch engine. 465 meant 465 lbs feet of torque. When the "new" Buick engines came out in 1967, they went back to cubic inch displacement as the identifier, i.e. 430.

HTH,

Tim

John,

The carburetor number you have is for a '64 401 w/ auto transmission. That's the same carburetor that I'm running on my '64 Riv. They're the same as the 425 carb except for maybe a couple of thousandths of an inch in the secondary jets. For the most part, you won't be able to tell the difference.

The 3633 has the correct vacuum fittings, choke, and throttle and kickdown linkages for everything the '64 was designed with. I would venture a guess that when the engine caught fire, there were still replacement carburetors available for that car and the guys who fixed it got a carb for a '64 Buick w/ auto transmission. If it's rebuildable, I'd do it. The kickdown linkage on a '64 is unique to that year only. "65 and '66 are a little different, '63 and before are completey different (mechanical v. electrical kickdown) and there's nothing in the aftermarket that works with the factory setup. All aftermarket carburetors have a larger neck and the OE air cleaner won't work on them either.

Ed