1929 DA6- oil pan installation vs. tie rod

This wannabe-mechanic has removed the oil pan; not sure exactly how I got it out. I am now trying to reinstall a clean, freshly painted and gasketed oil pan. It looks like the back end needs to go in first as a little of it goes into the transmission housing, but then I can't get in the front end over the tie rod. I loosened the nuts on the tie rod ends hoping it would be easy to remove for the oil pan installation. The tie rod does not simply get removed. Looking through my owner's manual it looks as though tie rod removal is a "job" that this novice is afraid to undertake at this point. Any ideas on how to get this oil pan up so it can be bolted in place. I appreciate any help.

Sometimes, if you turn the wheels one way or the other as far as they will turn, the oil pan has enough clearance to slip in without removing suspension parts.

Thanks, John. I thought I had them turned, but maybe not far enough. I got the pan on w/ a friends help. I saw that the frame curved inward ( for a little extra space)while the front engine mount remained straight. I got the front of the pan into the curved part then slid the pan back to where the rear was into the transmission housing then the pan went right up into place. My friend helped by using a pry bar to lift the engine and the front mounting plate up just a little so the front of pan could go over the tie rod.....it all worked great, but there has got to be an easier way! Maybe turning the wheels tightly in one direction would have done it...I'll definitely remember that easy trick if the time comes again! Thanks for the advice and have a great 4th!

Glad it worked out and I will be remembering your method in case it comes up in one of my projects. Happy 4th to you, too. I always celebrate with vigor because I am related to John Morton, one of the signers. He was my great, great, great...grandfather. I was named after him.

Guest 1930

The tie rod bar is easily removed although maybe its a little stiff because its been on so long, just back the nuts off a little and beat down on top of it or get waht they call a pickle fork and place it between the tie rod end and the spindle and drive it in. Either way I am sure that is the easiest way you could have done it.

Jason, thanks for the info as I'm sure I'll get around to the tie rods soon. I was just afraid if I banged it too hard I might break the ball joint.....I think that's what it is.....also didn't know about any seals, etc.....and didn't know about replacements available...I'll have to do some research. Thanks again and have a great hiliday weekend!

Guest 1930

You too, when you do get around to it I will show and explain a way to tighten up those joints with just a little time. There are no rebuild kits avail and no replacements avil. so I figured out a way to rebuild what you have and when you are done you will notice a big difference. Your not going to damage anything inside by beatng on it and there are no seals, originally it would have been a cloth enforced seal which you can make yourself easily enough with shockie material.

Thanks, Jason......any info on those tie rod ends is helpful. I didn't know what might be available on those...did look at Myers Early Dodge and the Romar sites yesterday and nothing available as you said. Interesting I can you shock strap material for those. I am printing out any posts that have to do with my car, yours included, for future reference in a file just so I can do whatever task correctly. Well, back to the car this a.m....have a good one!