1994 Buick Regal shift knob

LINC400

OK so it is not antique yet, but I have a 1994 Buick Regal 2 door with console. The plastic wood and clear plastic with shift letters on the console are cracked and falling apart. There was one in the junkyard with the shift knob ripped off. So I was able to easily remove the plastic parts I needed. However, the shift knob on my car is in perfect shape and is leather wrapped. I cannot slide the parts over the leather wrapped knob. Can this knob be removed without destroying the leather wrap?

I can tell you how the Reatta and Riviera are retained and your Regal may be the same.

on the front side (toward the dash) and about 1/2 inch up from the bottom is a black "U" shaped retainer. In place it looks like a big black stitch in the leather. You can get a small screwdriver behind it and work it out. Once out the knob pulls off.

PS It is easier to do if you move the lever all the way back.

Thanks, I think I can feel this U shaped retainer. I'll have to check this out. It sounds simple enough, but the car is a daily driver, so I will wait until it isn't needed for a while just in case it turns out to be one of those projects that balloon into more.

The U shaped retainer looks like a big thick staple. After you remove it, you might have to do a LITTLE twisting of the knob side to side while pulling up on it (not too much force!)...sometimes they are a little stuck but it will come off.

• 3 weeks later...