1923 Chatter

Brian_Heil

Brian, may have to call on you for some assistance. Washed the 23, took pictures, and then attempted to start her up for the trip to the garage. Pushed in on the starter and nothing. No clicking when I turn on the ignition. So frustrated, just pushed her back in the garage with the tractor.

Yesterday, I pulled the combo switch (is a new rebuild from Bob's Automobilia). My thinking is that it got wet during the was as I had the vent out. I checked all the connections, loosened each one and retightened. Then I got out the meter and I have over 6 volts at each of the connections, and the ignition side goes on and off like it should. All the lights work. When I turn on the ignition the amp meter does show a discharge of 10 amps as per usual. So the switch seems fine.

I then checked the connections on the starter generator and they are fine, all have correct voltage. The starter generator has been rebuilt and physically is in fine shape.

So today will check all the rods and levers with assistance from my bride and see if something has broken or has come out of alignment. The only thing different now versus before when it started is that now there is no resistance as the started rod reaches the end of its travel to engage the flywheel.

Will let you know what I find out.

John in VA

Brian, got her running. Found a couple of things. First, the little C plunger/puller was not pulling out far enough to engage all the electrics needed to start the car. Pushed the plunger with a crowbar and she immediately engaged and started. Pulled the floor boards and found that the arm on the shaft where the starter pedal engages was loose and not allowing the rotation of the rod. So tightened that up, and then put oil in the little holes around the plate that is above the flywheel. While they were not dry I was not getting full movement of the rods that go in and out to control the flywheel engagement.

So anyway, it is starting again. But I do have some slop between the pedal mechanism and the little arm on the shaft. I can spin/turn the pedal shaft, but it does not see to have any effect on the adjustment. Will have to look after the sun goes down. It is just too hot outside to have much fun in the sun.

John in VA

You answered your own question which is always better than me guessing! I would have told you to go push on the starter brushes (more like shoes!) when someone is pushing the stater pedal. That linkage is a real work of art.

There is a grease fitting that lubes the gear reducton set that is often missed near the end of the linkage shaft / starter pinion. Give it a good lube with the gun.

Went for a 40 mile ride yesterday, just perfect weather here.

john and brian ...I was having simular intermitant starter troubles on my 23 model 38...What i FOUND WAS THE ENGAGING STARTER BRUSH NEEDED TO BE EXTENDED A BIT BY LOOSENING SCREWS PUSHING IN AND RETIGHTENING....HAS WORKED PERFECT EVER SINCE. mY GUESS IS THOUGH EVENTUALLY i WILL NEED A NEW BRUSH AS IT IS WEARING DOWN.