248 Re build help, advice, hints, tricks, etc!

Gary_N

Well, I think it's time to dig into Yoda's 248. I'm getting tired of the quart of oil on the floor clean up and I think he's getting a little smoky. He has just under 60,000 miles.

I've search around the forum looking for some helpful threads. Didn't find much so I thought I'd just ask.

Anyway, helpful advice will be appreciated.

Gary

Gary, have you checked the compression? How's the oil pressure? Do you know where the oil is coming from - rear main or oil pan? Are you wanting to remove the engine or just get it in better shape without removing? I'm guessing that your intentions are something less than a total rebuild, else you wouldn't be asking for advice.

Do you know if this car came with rod and main bearing shims? If so, they could be removed to take up the bearing wear. At 66K miles, you might be able to get by with honing the cylinders and new rings. As for the head, at the very least I would take it to a trusted engine rebuilder and get it vatted and have the valves and seats ground and new valve guides installed. You really want the head to be right.

Even if you removed the engine, you might consider just doing the above mentioned items. Of course you will want to do a few other things like get a new clutch plate, check the timing chain, and check the oil pump for wear. You might want to get the crank checked for roundness and then have it polished.

Don't forget to use the ridge reamer on the cylinders or you might end up breaking the lands on the pistons during removal.

Good Luck

If you are

Yoda, being a 1950, will probably already have the insert bearings instead of the shims but in case it doesn't you are going to want to contact Terrill Machine in DeLeon Texas and trade your rods in. They are good people to order hard parts and gaskets from too.

Make sure your water passages are clean, it takes boiling and scrubbing to get everywhere but after almost 60 years there have some scale in them.

At first I thought that if the compression one each cylinder was ok, I might just do the heads and clean the gunk out in the pan, which I'm sure is there. But that seems to be just putting off the inevitable.

The front and rear seals leak. The fronts are very bad. There's oil all over the place.

I'm fairly sure I have the insert bearing.

Can I have the block chemically dipped? Wouldn't that be a better clean out than hot tanking?

Gary