90 radio repair?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Recently Richard offered to fix Reatta radios. I sent mine to him.

It usually plays a minute or less in hot weather. Sometimes a few minutes in cold wx. and seldom plays for longer. When it fails the volumn drops to practically zero and is of no use.

I always thought it overheated.

He can not get it to fail! Even tried xtra speakers, etc.

Ideas?

Guest Richard D

Wally, do you have a digital multimeter? I could tell you which pins to probe on the connector and that would tell us if someone put in 4 ohm speakers or if you have a shorted speaker wire.

Richard

I would bet you have a failing speaker coil. As it warms up it the coil looses what little bit of insulation it still has and then shorts. After a while it will play again until it heats up. You may be able to catch it with a multimeter, but I would try to hook up a external source and see if it will make the speaker fail.

Guest Richard D

Daniel's idea is a good one. Something else to check for me is if all the speakers read close to each other. If one reads lower than the others it could be a sign of voice coil failure. I will also try putting a 4 ohm speaker on two channels and watch the radio carefully for overheating or the bad magic smoke being released.

Richard.

Guest wally888

When bought in 04 it had a replacement radio. Original in trunk.

I can install the cheap replacement (was working perfect) and tell you results!

Guest Richard D

You can try that, although Delco radios were much more sensitive to speaker impedence than most aftermarket radios.

When you play the aftermarket radio do all speakers sound about the same volume?

PS. I type at the blinding rate of four words a minute. Would you PM me with your phone #? I can call you for free in N. America.