Catalytic Convertor Suggestions

Guest vwdubb

Guest vwdubb

Hello to All,

The convertor on my 90 is starting to rattle quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for replacment or which ones to stay away from. If I buy a cheap one, will I be happy? Thanks for any suggestions. Mike

Guest Mike_s

A cheap one is probably smaller with less material and probably will not last as long or clean the exhaust as well as a higher quality unit, also the smaller one may cause exhaust to be a bit louder.

Guest Greg Ross

When my original Cat was shot I also discovered the stock exhaust system front/ middle of the car was so thin there was literally nothing left to weld to.

If you're in the high mileage dept. you'd best be prepared for the potential of a bigger repair bill.

And are you sure you don't just have a loose heat shield that's making the noise? Or, alternatively the system could have shifted and be touching one of the other heat shields.

Guest vwdubb

Thank you to everyone with all the advice. I did check all the shields to make sure they were tight. That's what I first thought as well. But when I hold the pipe and lightly tap on the convertor with a rubber hammer, you can hear all the baffles bouncing around inside of it. I think i will probably do it myself with the magnaflow website that you kindly offered. I was going to have an exhaust shop do it ,but I think i can handle the other. I am just debating if I should buy the convertor with or without the pipe to the manifold. I am concerned that the pipe to the convertor that they will sell me won't have the quality of the original one. My original front pipe looks to be in very good shape. My reatta has a few miles but it is not a rust belt car. Should I buy just the convertor or the convertor with the front pipe from magnaflow?? Thanks again

Guest CL_Reatta

well if you live in a state where there is no emmisions testing you can just put a straight pipe where the converter went....supposibly it has a nice rumble to it then...or just take the converter off and gut it and put it back on

If you put a straight pipe on your gas milage will go down the tubes. The car needs a bit of backpressure to run properly. I lost almost 5mpg when I used the straigh pipe. I am guessing it is because the O2 does not have time to get an accurat reading, so the ECM throws down more fuel.