One for Mr Earl

50jetback

Just what you need Mr Earl, 1936 Convertible coupe.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130303114835&_trksid=p2761.l1259

I think this is a Century looking at the motor. Have asked the seller but he doesn't seem to know ( deceased estate ).

This is the only further information he supplied when I asked for engine number, ID plate etc.

ID plate info

1936 model

style no 36-4667

body no 2

trim no 270

paint no 421

BUICK MOTOR CO

FLINT. MICH.

body by fisher

The style number doesn't seem to appear in any of my books. Would have been fully imported as Holden didn't make any Convertible Coupes in 1936.

The front seats don't appear correct, may be made up from later bucket seats.

Still, a rare and pretty desirable car if it is a Century.

Guest imported_MrEarl

You talkin to me?...

"LOVINGLY RESTORED, over $80,000 spent, owner has passed away without ever enjoying it, must sell"

If I bought that,and after Rita finished with me, then it would have had TWO owners that passed before ever enjoying it. crazy.gif and if I'm gonna die anyway, while down there to pick it up I may as well call that phone number you probably still have in your billfold. grin.gif

It is gorgeous, I agree the seats just don't look right.

You do realise with the current AUS$ conversion rate $40,000 Australian is only US$29,153 - that has to make it a bargain!!!

Have sent another email to the seller trying to obtain an engine number, I'm sure Dave Corbin could throw some light on it. The manifold is certainly different from the special series manifold so I'm still confident it's a Century.

As for Lena'a number, I don't have it tucked away in my billfold, but if I put my mind to it I could remember it!!!!

It's a series 60 I'm fairly certain. I remember first seeing this car about 15 years ago when Victorian member Mick Whiting owned it.

I'm thinking that I recall seeing a HOLDEN badge on it ??

Could be wrong but enquire with the owner if it's Holden or Fisher body. I'd like to test my memory on that one.

Mick then onsold it to the "current" deceased owner who restored it. On another trip over there I went to the deceased owner's place just after he bought it because he was selling a 1930s Dodge / Pontiac sedan to fund it.

The restoration on the sedan was fairly ordinary as I recall , that's why I didn't buy it.

post-41457-14313806991_thumb.jpg

Ken,

The seller says it has a body by FISHER tag and according to Norm Darwin Holden only built bodies for Series 40 and Series 60 sedans in 1936.

So, if it's a Series 60 ( and I'm pretty sure it is ) it should have model 66C or 66CX on the data plate. Looks like they only built 717 66C's and another 49 66CX's for export, probably RHD.

Some Victorian members have looked at the vehicle and suggest the resto could be better, not to mention the colour.

I could see you in it Ken, paint it red and I'll see if I can remember Lena's number, she lives up your way doesn't she!!!