'38 248 engine

Guest captbrian38

Guest Brian Kearney

I recently had my 248 rebuilt and I am installing it now and over the next few days will be getting it running. I ran into a slight miscue and wonder if I could get an answer. The new rear mounts seem to be bigger than the old ones because as I installed the drivers side mount I replaced the old 3 shims and tightened the bolts down. I went to the passenger side and the mount just fit without the 5 shims that were there with the old mount. Now what do I do, try to split the shims side to side say 2 and I, or just leave the shims on the drivers side and snug everything up. I know the manual talks about the tracking qualities of the car with properly installed shims to center the engine.

thanks

captbrian38

Guest Art  Williams

Brian,

Once you replace the mounts you will have to go thru' the alignment process to centre the engine. The fact that it had 5 shims on one side and three on the other only applies to that set of mounts.

Art

Guest Brian Kearney

Thanks Art, I'm not sure the centering process is fully explained in the manual but I will study it again. The shims are difficult at best to get in so I'm not looking forward to doing this. Any expertise would be gratefully accepted. Are there some kind of measurments I can take to have the engine where it needs to be and then figure the # of shims per side that I will need to install and do this one time or does it have to be a trial and error scenario.

thanks, Brian

• 1 year later...

I am basically doing the same thing with my 31-57 Buick.

I decided to measure side to side from the frame rails to the transmission and place the shims to center everything. I installed the front mounts loose so the engine can move until I get the rear mounts tight with shims in place....

My 2 cents...