Cycle fender Hupmobiles

trimacar

Well, I guess I've been under a rock somewhere. Thought I knew all kinds of cars, and had seen them all. Even knew at a glance what the mystery car was on PreWarCar (a Franklin Pirate phaeton). For some reason, though, I've never seen a cycle fender Hupp (1932-33) before today (well, a picture of one). Criminy, that's a good looking car.

post-31482-143138061448_thumb.jpg

Guest 1928Packard526

trimacar —

What am I missing here? Your post shows a beautifully restored Hup but its fenders don't fit my definition of cycle fenders. Cycle fenders, as I understand them,(for auto usage), are mounted such that they move with the wheel they cover. The front ones turn with their wheel and those in the rear move up and down with those wheels.

Such fenders are not mounted off the car body but at the respective wheel,(usually from the brake backing plate). I take my definition from the Hot Rod scene so maybe I am mis-informed.

Is the wrong photo attached to your post, or do I have a definition problem that needs correcting?

Pete P.

No, correct picture, and a "definition" that is apparently common for these year Hupps. Because the fender follows the curve of the wheel, the nickname for the car became cycle fender Hupp.

I do understand your point about true cycle fenders. This is not the only antique car nomenclature that can be questioned, obviously, as seen on recent discussion about difference between touring, phaeton, and sport phaeton body styles.

Best- David Coco

Guest 1928Packard526

David —

I appreciate your clarification of the term "cycle fenders" as used on the Hupp, (and probably others), and understand the definition you offer. I did think your definition might be the case as I scrutinized the photo. It is the only possibility that made sense.

Personally, I see calling such fenders "cycle fenders" as a stretch, but I can see how the term fits to a degree, since motorcycle/bicycle fenders do generally follow the curve of the wheel longer than any auto fenders of the era in question.

Just the same, I would consider it a poor use of the term and the modern usage more descriptive and meaningful.

The question then becomes what term would fit the type of fenders you, (and I expect others), call cycle fenders. How about "Wheel curve fenders" for those that attach to the body and follow the curve of the wheel so closely, leaving the "cycle fender" designation for those not attached to the body but only to the wheel apparatus?

Cycle fenders, as I term them, are not that new and predate the type you describe. I just reconnected with a 1907 Buick I saw at Hershey years ago that was equipped with true cycle fenders. Check out the attached photo of it today. The fenders were an original modification.

Perhaps this explains why I see the phrase, as you used it, as odd.

Pete P.

post-50405-143138061491_thumb.jpg

Hi- Yep, sometimes a phrase sorta meets the need, other times not. But, please let me be clear, it is not my phrasing on the description. If you google "cycle fender Hupmobile", you will see that this is a common description for the early 30's Hupps. So I did not make it up.

Just as you question my description, I question the originality of the Buick your posted. I might believe the fenders, but that tank behind the seats is not in character of the car designs of the times. And are those fenders made of brass? They seem to shine. Not a practical application of the metal, if that is the case, as brass is so soft......

happy motoring! David Coco Winchester Va.

Guest 1928Packard526

David —

Here are the photos I took of the same car at Hershey some 35 years ago. You can draw your own conclusions as to what is original and not.

If you want to know more, go to the "What is it?" section of the forum and click on "Early car modification puzzle" and you will see all that I know about this car and its history.

From what I can see I think the fenders are aluminum fabrications. The current owner Walter Baran of Frackville PA can probably tell you for certain just what they are made of.

Pete P.

post-50405-143138061575_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138061578_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138061581_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete- I do not mean to argue the point, just discussing the modifications. You state that it is an "original modification," I'd surely be willing to bet this modification didn't happen when the car was built. 35 years ago at Hershey would be early 1970's, which means the car could have been modified in the 1930's and still had that patina.

And I see why fenders are shiny now, thanks for clearing that up, he polished the aluminum. And it appears whoever restored the car modified the modifications, such as removing all the bolts or rivets that show in the Hershey pictures (on cowl and along bottom of body).

Very interesting before and after, thanks for posting them. best- David C.

The cycle fender Hupps were the creation of Raymond Loewy and it is a styling effect that was new in the early thirties market. At that time most cars had long sweeping fender lines that went concave as they continued past the wheel and tire. This new wraparound look was quite a departure from the norm at the time.

I think it is a very interesting and refreshing look for the era. It also hid more of the front undercarriage than 'current design making the car cleaner to look at too. However, I also think the long sweep fender look hit its zenith in 1932/33 with many stunning cars designs in those years.

I also think Loewy was quite visionary when you think how the fender look evolved in the later '30 with the fender wrapping around the wheel and enclosing the space behind it. But then I also own an Avanti, another fabulous Loewy design way ahead of the market in soooo many styling cues!

• 1 year later...
Guest 51MGTD
Hi Pete- I do not mean to argue the point, just discussing the modifications. You state that it is an "original modification," I'd surely be willing to bet this modification didn't happen when the car was built. 35 years ago at Hershey would be early 1970's, which means the car could have been modified in the 1930's and still had that patina.

And I see why fenders are shiny now, thanks for clearing that up, he polished the aluminum. And it appears whoever restored the car modified the modifications, such as removing all the bolts or rivets that show in the Hershey pictures (on cowl and along bottom of body).

Very interesting before and after, thanks for posting them. best- David C.

This Car from the best of my knowledge was purchased in the early 1900's by a wealthy business man who had a love for trains. He had the car modified to look like a train. It is believed to be a one of a kind. We have copies of newspaper articles from a 1936 Philadelphia paper, with this car in an automobile race. The Fenders are made of cast aluminum as are the floor boards and side steps. The Fenders have a brass tube molded around the edge for decoration. If you are in the Schuylkill County area I am sure the owner would be more than happy to show you the car.

Matt B.