Yikes! Got water!

Guest larryF

Guest larryF

after days of heavy rain, I got in my tc and found the front carpet, both sides, soaking wet. I can't figure out how all that water got in. No signs of leakage around the top, the glass, no wetness under the dash. Anyone got any suggestions?

Larry

Guest My TC Toy

Both sides, you say, now that's unusual. Normally when a car leaks it is only on one side. I am assuming this is the first time this happened or was the first time it was bad enough to notice. I would suggest you get a friend to gently hose down the car, in a dark location would be better, and you get in with a flashlight and try to see any dripping or wet spotting.

The other thing would be to look at the position the car was parked in, that is was it facing uphill or downhill, even slightly. This could give you an indication whether the leak is in the front or rear.

It is probably going to take a little detective work to find.

Good luck!

Guest larryF

I don't have a hard top, yet. What perplexes me is there is no sign of leaking anywhere. This is a new issue. I'm thinking it may be because of the very heavy rain, at times more than two inches an hour. still, it seems to have to be below the dashboard, but I can't find the source. More on the driver's side than the pass. side, but a lot on both. Not even a hint of wetness to be found above the floor. I'm so confused!

Guest larryF

Sorry Chick, I'm not spending any money on the car at the moment. I have other more pressing issues.

David, Where do I find the drains in the plenum?

Guest My TC Toy

Larry,

Generally the cowl vents are in front of the cowl and drain through two openigs, covered with a rubber flapper, on the engine side of the firewall. I am not at home right now to make certain that's where they are in the TC, but one look should tell you. Normally if the cowl leaks because these vents are plugged there will be a leak through the heater on the pssenger side because that is where you will find the fresh air inlet to the heater.

I am pretty sure that on the TC you can remove the plastic cover directly below the windshield to get access to the cowl. It may be a good idea to get in there to check for rust (God forbid).

When I gave you my initial suggestion I should have mentioned it would be a good idea to remove the plastic shroud that encloses the underside of the panel. It runs from the passenger kick panel to the accelerator and a second piece(s) are below the column. This will open the area in order to get a good look before the water has a chance to get behind the carpet and remain undetected.

Guest larryF

Thanks for your insight, guys. It seems there are vent style openings on both sides of the cowl. The cowl drains through an opening in the sides, below the hood hinges. No type of cover that I can tell. These areas were full of leaves, slowing drinage enough so that it couldn't keep up with the heavy rain we had. It wouldn't take much of a puddle to start draining down the vents... I believe the problem is solved, but won't really know for sure until we get that kind of rain again.

Again, thanks

Larry Folta