What's the best tires for 53 manhattan?

Guest Orphanauto

Guest Orphanauto

I just bought a 53 kaiser Manhattan 4-door. It has wide white tires and even though they look new, they are 25 years old. I like my cars all original. What was originally used, can I still get them, or something extremely close, or should I use something modern. fyi, I live in a small mayberry type town, so I won't be using the car much, just around town, so no major across country trips. Thanks for your tips and input. oh, by the way, you can see pictures of the Kaiser @ my web... orphanauto.webs.com

Guest Orphanauto

I'm thinking they are kinda dry rotton after all these years. maybe if I do get a flat just replace the tubes. Thanks..

1951 thru 55 full size Kaisers had 6.70x15 Goodyear tires as standard equipment. A 3 1/4 inch wide whitewall was optional. Dragons used a 7.10x15 tire and the same size was optional on the other cars. Henry Js and Darrins used a 6.40x15 Goodyear tire...again in black with a whitewall as optional. Early Darrins...up to serial number 50 used a 5.90x15. All Darrins had whitewall tires.

Replacements are available from places like Coker tire and Universal tire. Most folks in the KF club use Firestone tires as they're a bit more affordable than Goodyear or Universals.

From 1952 and up, the rims were a 'sealed' rim, meaning that tubes are not needed. 1951 rims are also sealed, but literature from the day makes no mention until 1952.

By the way, all 1947-1950 Kaisers and Frazers used a 7.10x15 Goodyear tire...although a few early cars were equipped with 16 inch rims.

Chrysler rims that are 5 or 5.5 inch wide units with the guide pin hole are the same as Kaiser. Motor Wheel was the manufacturer.

Whew...that's alot of info...sure hope it helps!

By the way, do yourself a favor and replace the old tires. And, don't use radials, the car will steer and handle like a tank...been there and done that!