auxillary input for 1990 radio

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

is there a simple way to add a auxillary input to a factory 1990 reatta radio. I have one of my radios ripped apart and I am looking for a way to add this input so I can use an Ipod

ETC. Is there a simple way to do this? If so details please.

Guest daveagain909

Which is the factory aux in. is it THe seperate connector or is one of the connectors in the 4 pack female connector? if so what is the feed out. (HOW DO I WIRE IT?)

can I buy a male connector?

appreciate your information.

Guest daveagain909

I was just looking at my radios. and I think I now know which one it is. It is one of the two 6 pin connectors located in the bottom left position on the 4 pack? is that right?

xerxes-

"Bump" is utilized to bring a thread back up to the top of the list in the forum so it get exposure.

Dave-

If you look at the top sheet metal housing of the [1990-1991] radio, you will see three columns of information "stamped" into the metal. This is the pinout listing of the connector at the rear of the radio. The numbers listed represent a pin number on the connector.

The connector housing itself has numbers embossed at the edges (#20 at top left, #11 at top right, #10 at bottom left and #1 at bottom right. These are not so easy to see, but they are there. You can count of pins from one end or the other based on the numbers at the ends of each row.

The label next to each number stamped on top represents it's corresponding function. Note that the third column shows the label first, and the pin number to it's right nearest the rear edge of the radio housing.

Looking at mine (pulled from the car, so I have it sitting here) the following is shown in the second column:

# DESC NOTES

11 L-AUX Left channel auxiliary in.

12 AUD-C Left channel common? (audio ground)

13 R-AUX Right channel auxiliary in.

14 AUD-C Right channel common? (audio ground)

15 VOICE input for integrated cell phone audio

16 GRD Main ground

17-20 are right and left rear speaker outputs.

So, it seems that pins 11 and 13 are the left and right auxiliary inputs respectively. I am interpreting 12 an 14 as the corresponding common for the left and right channels respectively, but the labeling is a bit odd.

I don't know if the auxiliary in is auto-sensing on this radio or not. Some are (88-89 RIM module apparently is based on Daniel's past postings on the subject) but I've not experimented with the 90-91 radio as I removed it from my car for the installation of something "better".

Note the separate 7-pin connector for the outboard CD player is only used to provide power, illumination/dimming control and data (E&C bus) between the radio and slave CD player, so you shouldn't need to do anything with it.

KDirk

Dave,

If I am correct on the pinout and their corresponding functions, 11 and 12 are left aux + and -, 13 and 14 are right aux + and -. Think of an home stereo audio hookup cable (with RCA plugs on either end) for example. The tip at the center of the RCA plug is the + in the audio signal. The ring, or outer edge, is the - in the audio signal.

Each audio channel requires a positive and negative connection to make a complete circuit, so you will have two wires, + and - for each channel, and four wires total for both channels.

The only thing I am unsure of based on the function labeling for pins 12 and 14 is that they are in fact the negative inputs. Logically they are, as such connections are usually grouped in a pair, positive on one pin, and negative on the next one.

I hope this makes sense.

KDirk

Guest daveagain909

It does. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make a connector that does what I want. Any Ideas? anyone?

Best option would be to get a section of factory harness from a junked car, and use the connector and wire pigtail from that to splice onto. Be forewarned that some harnesses have all four connector sections fused together as one plug, while others have four separate plugs.

You'll need the separate plug type harness to use just the plug and wires needed for this. If you look at the connector on the rear of the radio, there are 4 sections to it. Two sections have 4 pins each, and the other two have 6 pins each.

The auxiliary ins are in the upper right quadrant of the connector (pins 11-16 counting right to left) on the connector as you are looking at it. A six pin plug with a few inches of wire should do the trick, then you can splice onto the wires going to pins 11 and 12 for the left channel, and 13 and 14 for the right.

You might also check with a local auto sound installer (a shop that specializes in car audio, not someplace like Best Buy) as there are harness adapter kits made for custom installs. An outfit named MetraKit makes most of these.

Usually these are female connectors to hook onto the factory car side harness, but many common domestic car lines have the male (radio side) harness available. It may be special order for the male side harness, but the Reatta uses the common GM 1985-up standard radio harness so it shouldn't be too hard to get.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

Believe you connect both left and right channel grounds together and tie to pin 12. Pin 14 is for the chassis ground which would be for the shield connector (the bare metal wire mesh surrounding all of the signal wires) if your cable has it.

PSSST!. !!!!!!!!!! Just a note for all.

Most ACdelco radio from mid 80s to 95' used the same pin and protical setup. this means almost all have a aux input option and weather it is the brain unit or full deck the aux are ussaly the same.

Also yes the common/groung for the aux are the same for the left and right.

Guest daveagain909

daniel, so what is the correct way to make this auxilary input work? " so i conect both ground wires together and ? Where can I get a connector and what is the exact connections? I think I am almost there. do I need to go to some special place to get this connector or is there a harness made that has the female aux input to the ipod?

The othe two wires are the actual signal they go to the left and rith + input.

Use a 1/4 inch female stereo plug, for ease of install. Then all you need is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and a double ended male 1/8 cord. The Volume on the Ipod is best kept around 3/4 while using it in this setup.