coker vs diamondback

i need to purchase another set of wide white radials.bought cokers last time and haven't been disappointed except that the white walls are cracking and ar hard to clean. minor, i know and i'm not complaining, but have any of you had experience with diamondback and coker and do you have anything to offer. thanks in advance, blueflame confused.gif" border="0

let me tell you a little someting about coker tire, <P>the true story begins<P>the legend had been attending hershey since its begining, was the founding pres of a club that stareted way back when and coker tire wanted the spots that he had had for years (YEARS) at hershey, they complained they yelled, they were pains in the butt! they finally got there way. the boys at coker tire are dirty dont deal with them! buy your tires elsewere, just because because they smile when they take your money doesnt theyre good at business, they now how to raise hell, they know how to inflate a gigantic float in front of your spots, they know how to park their rig in a way that block everyone from seing your spots. coker tire is business at its lowest. ill go make you tires by hand to make you buy your tires elsewere, ill squeeze the rubber from the rubber trees myself. <P>trust me on this one<P>GS of the legend

That doesn't sound like the Coker Tire that I got my tires from. 3 years ago I needed 4 tires, tube, and wheel bans for my Packard 1404, I called Coker, they were very helpful on the phone, and were open on Saturdays. They told me If I being the wheels in that they would mount & balance them for free, so I decided to run my wheels down there, they're about 80 miles away from me. They mounted the tires but the guy that balances the wheels was not in yet, so they took me on a tour of the place, I even saw all the antique car they have. By 10:30 the guy that balances didn't show up, so they called a couple of places that are around where I live, found how much it would cost to balance them & knock it off the price. I now have 5,000 miles on them, and they still look new, they are BFG's 750-17 W/W. The funny thing is, they run so true, that I never did have to have them balance, and even at 60 mph there's no vibration.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Thelegend,<P>Don't hold back, brother. Tell us how you really feel! You must pose a real threat to them for them to take on such a personal campaign against you. What tire company do you represent?<P><BR>Sorry, guys. I'm just not in the mood today. This one rubbed me the wrong way.

Coker tire is a very reputable business...period. My suggestion is that if you think you have a problem with your last set talk to them. Believe it or not most good businesses want to know if there is a problem. Talk to Corky if necessary...not familiar with the other brand of tire but have bought many tires from these guys and have been satisfied in all respects.

Thelegand:<P>Two months ago, I purchased a set of 185-15 Red Band tires from Coker for my 1972 Triumph TR-6. <P>Delivered in good order. No problem.<P>Now. I am in the foundry & machine shop business. We have spent millions of dollars on pollution equipment. Your comments remind me of a competitor I have, who, upon learning he was not quite in the running for a large quote package, resorted to telling the potential customer that we were not in compliance with D.E.P., plus, we had financial problems.<P>Turned out to be desperate measures. We were awarded the work.<P>Question: What is your problem with such cheap shots? Let me guess...your business is not ready to compete at any show, quality is probably questionable, investment in your business to make it world class was ignored, etc., etc. Any truth to this???<P>Regards, Peter J.

Guest Randy Berger

I purchased a set of BFG WW/radials from Coker (only place you can get them) and I have a problem with one of the whitewalls. A phone call to Coker assured me they would like to correct the problem, but the tires were not in stock - manufacturer was slow in supplying them. Told me to check back every month till they receive supply. Tire is OK, WW is bubbling by rim - not a safety issue so I can still run. Seemed like an honest forthright answer. If I don't have a new tire in six months, I'll start complaining.

Guest boettger

Just goes to show you that you can't please everybody all the time.<BR>Coker is a class act. Good caring people. Very knowledgable and helpful. Good service.<BR>Last time I ordered from Coker delivery was very prompt. ( My UPS guy even put the tires inside the garage while I was at work.)<P>I like their big tire at Hershey. Sort of gives me a land mark to head for!

I guess the point in the legend's "true story" that confuses me is from his quote:<P>"they know how to inflate a gigantic float in front of your spots, they know how to park their rig in a way that block everyone from seing your spots".<P>I may be wrong, but as long as I have been traveling to Fall Hershey, Coker's truck has always been parked against the fence at the rear of their site along the edge of Chocolate Field... and the big inflatable tire was always on top of the truck away from any neighboring spots. I know friends located right next to them in Chocolate Field and they have never had any problem with visibility of their site from the aisle or the willing cooperation of the people working the site.

To the legend:<BR>I`ve know the whole family for 66 years and there`s not one of them 'dirty".<P> "just because because they smile when they take your money doesnt theyre good at business"<BR>Really, to have taken a few old tire molds in the early `60s and turn the business into what it is today......they are good.<P>Here`s a Quote from the president of Coker Tire:<P>" I appreciate the kind words spoken about Coker Tire. If we ever step on<BR>someone's toes, I want to know about it and will try to correct it. If we<BR>ever have a product out there or service provided that is not satisfactory,<BR>I want to know about it, so we can try to correct it. I am a collector<BR>too, I enjoy this hobby and part of our mission at Coker is to enable<BR>others to enjoy their collector vehicles."<P>Corky Coker, President<BR>Coker Tire Company, Inc.<BR>1317 Chestnut Street<BR>Chattanooga, Tn 37402<BR>(423) 265- 6368 toll 800-251-6336<BR>email: corkyc@coker.com<BR>url: <A HREF="http://www.coker.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.coker.com</A><p>[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: progoofoff ]

Good luck with Coker tires I've purchased over the past 10 or so years, including two sets of 5.60-15 Firestone wide whitewall tires that we currently run on our '56 Ghia and '60 Beetle, and one set of 5.00/5.25-16 Firestone wide whitewall tires that we run on our '50 Beetle. They all run true, including at highway speeds, and none of them have any balance weights...<P>One comment regarding the Beetle-size (165R15) Michelin XZX's they sell--I found that I was able to save fairly substantial money (about $100 total savings on a set of four, delivered to my house) by purchasing them from a local tire chain store in San Jose, CA (as compared to purchasing them from Coker). I'm sure this is related to the fact that there are a lot more Beetles on the road being driven daily in California, as compared to here in the East (and so it is probably a lot more practical for stores out there to keep them in stock--try finding a Beetle size tire from ANY manufacturer here in Connecticut these days!). This is not a slam in any way against Coker--just passing along some of my own practical experience.