Aftermarket Oil Filter

Pat_n_Pat

Howdy!

Our '29 "A" has an aftermarket oil filter. It has two copper lines, one that goes to the oil plug in the middle of the block, and one that goes to the bottom end of the oil return pipe.

I think it may be hooked up incorrectly. The line from the oil plug in the middle of the block goes to the "out" side of the filter, and the line from the oil return pipe goes to the "in" side of the filter.

I would think that the oil plug supplies pressure, and should go to the outer (in) side of the filter, and the center (out) side of the filter should be connected to the oil return pipe.

Since this is a bypass system, the worst that could happen is the oil filter is just not functioning properly and the lubricating system will function as Henry planned. (Unless, of course bits of filter element get pumped into the system grin.gif)

Am I missing something?

Pat

That is correct. In fact, I do not know of any filter that flows the other way. My point was that it looks like the filter was installed backwards by the previous owner. I am going to remove it, as We change oil often on our cars and the benefit is probably negligible, at best.....especially if it is hampered by incorrect installation.

Pat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi:

Have been out of town, and just saw your note. We had not really thought about it. We are running the Hemmings Challenge in Springfield, then driving across country. Still trying to decide if we are going to Forest Grove on the July 18. Who knows! maybe we will "box up" our A and bring it down to Cottage Grove.

Pat