1966 Chevrolet SS 396

cowboy33

I would like to change my own oil in my Chevelle. I have the correct AC Delco Duraguard Oil Filter, PF 141. This is the cannister type filter. Hopefully someone could offer a little assistance on how to change the filter. I am familiar with the new screw on filters, but this one is a little different.

Thank you

Guest speedydeedy

Get an oil catch pan.Then loosen the center bolt and let the oil drain for a while.Take the bolt and canister off,remove old filter and gasket. Clean out canister and install new filter and gasket.Oil gasket just like spin on and install.Hope this helps.

Just to reiterate one point. When you take the canister off, make sure you get the gasket out. Also, check to make sure there are no gaskets caught up in the top of the housing as this is a not uncommon occurence. You should only have one gasket for the filter.

Also, make sure you buy a fresh filter, as some of the old one may not have the "freshness" of a new one. At lease this is what I have been told. NAPA usually has about any one you would want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bill pritchett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to reiterate one point. When you take the canister off, make sure you get the gasket out. Also, check to make sure there are no gaskets caught up in the top of the housing as this is a not uncommon occurence. You should only have one gasket for the filter.

Also, make sure you buy a fresh filter, as some of the old one may not have the "freshness" of a new one. At lease this is what I have been told. NAPA usually has about any one you would want. </div></div>

...and to elaborate on this excellent advice, to easily remove the old gasket remove the 2 small bolts that holds the aluminum ring in place (bypass valve?) and clean that as well.

impala