Aftermarket Radio - weak reception

Richard S

I replaced all the speakers in my 90 and decided to go with an in-dash cd radio. Got a Clarion. Noted that the PO had replaced the power antenna [must have because it is was secured in the trunk with platic ties]. I secured it by making an adaptor bracket. Still, the reception of weak stations is not very good. Aside from public radio, which is acceptably powerful, there is not much to listen to here. There is a classical and a jazz station but both are small operations that don't have powerful signals. Doesn't take much to lose them. I would have thought that today's radios all have about the same ability to pick up weak stations. Is there anything else I should look at or do? Are there signal boosters that really work?

Guest imported_JohnW

If your radio has a built-in cd player and the sound & volume are ok, then the problem is most likely in the antenna, wiring or plug. I had a similar problem and discovered my flexible antenna had broken internally.

Yes, the CD works fine. I did use a GM adaptor pigtail for the installation. John, I guess the best thing would be to test the antenna by plugging in another one. Might have one in the garage. Mine is a telescoping retractible unit. Is there something in that could break that could affect signal strength? I know the plastic retractor can break, but that does not seem to affect the signal.