Another '38 question, can anyone tell me about this?

Guest Faust

Below is a picture of the radiator in the '38, I assume it is original. In the center of the upper cap is rather large hole with a filler piece soldered in. Did this serve any purpose? Was it for ease of manufacture? I notice the core doesn't look too original, may be discoloration from age.

100_3830.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's where the Silphon Thermostat would have gone, which operated a mechanism that opened and closed the shutters in the grille. The car must be a Super Eight, or it's the wrong radiator for the car. </div></div>

Thanks for the answer. As far as I know the car is a 120, or in '38, the "Eight". There are no numbers left on the firewall plate, so my identification is by bits and pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

Not all 120CDs were 138 wheel base cars. I owned a nice original low mileage swb sedan for several years. It had a nicer interior with bedford cord seats, senior grade broadcloth on the rest of the interior, wood grained door trim ala Super 8, senior shift knob, shutter grill, senior tail lights, senior carpet, goddess ornament, banjo wheel, lighter, clock, rear lighter and special ashtray and perhaps some other things that I have forgotten.