The rookie

Guest MelJan

Can you give advice to a rookie? I am trying to pull the front brake drum off a '38 D10 Business Coupe, and find a replacement drum. My common sense techniques at removal are not working, so is there a trick?

I am also trying to find out what color the original paint was, and only have a paint code: 1507

Advice and tips are most welcome.

Just be certain that the brake shoes are adjusted in as far as possible so that if there are grooves in the drum, it will not get caught on the shoes. I always turn the drum while trying to remove it.

Thanks Jim - that was helpful, but for some reason the paint code that I wrote down from the tag was not shown there. The car may have been mfg in Canada, and therefore may have a different code - but I am guessing.

Thanks J.A.(2) - being a rookie, I wasn't aware one was needed, which means I am definitely on a steep learning curve.

Guest imported_woodwheels

US model #'s for '37 were D-5. for 38 D-8 and 39- was D-11. I suggest you go to DodgeBrothersClub.org, bring up the technical advisors and contact the '36-'38 tech advisor, John Nieder. My inclination is that you do have a Canadian car, if so it would have a Plymouth engine in it. '38 Plym engine #'s started with P6-, 38- Dodge with D-8. Jim '33 tech advisor Dodge Bros Club

Thanks for the info. The info I was able to gleen from the tags on the firewall are:

Model D10 B CPE

Body No. 322

Trim Code AKJ

Paint Code 1507

The little manual that was in the glove box called it a Dodge Deluxe Six Business Coupe.

It is my understanding that it was first sold in Canmore Alberta, but I could be wrong. Any and all tips, advice, pearls of wisdom are most appreciated.

Guest DodgeKCL

You're missing one more number, the sequential chassis production number. If it was made in Windsor it would have a 9million number for a production unumber.

If the number isn't on a plate anywhere then look on the outside of the frame just behind and below the rear shackle of the front left spring. There should be a 7 digit stamped number there?

Thanks KCL - I missed one set of numbers. The Serial Number is 9482538. I assume then that the vehicle was made in Windsor. Good info. Thanks

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MelJan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. The info I was able to gleen from the tags on the firewall are:

Model D10 B CPE

Body No. 322

Trim Code AKJ

Paint Code 1507

The little manual that was in the glove box called it a Dodge Deluxe Six Business Coupe.

It is my understanding that it was first sold in Canmore Alberta, but I could be wrong. Any and all tips, advice, pearls of wisdom are most appreciated.

</div></div>

Your Dodge is a 1938 model. The D8 was the U.S. style Dodge, D9 the export model and in Canada the series based on the Plymouth Business Six while the D10 was a Canada-only model based on the Plymouth DeLuxe.

Series names in Canada -

D8 - Custom Six

D9 - Six

D10 - DeLuxe Six

Your data plate -

Model D10 B CPE

1938 (D10) DeLuxe Six Business Coupe

Body No. 322

322nd 1938 DeLuxe Six Business Coupe built at Windsor, ON

Trim Code AKJ

The interior trim - have no info on Canadian-built cars before WW II.

Paint Code 1507

Riviera Blue

(C.I.L. code 246-8456, Sherwin-Williams code L-4705)

Do not have the paint chips for 1938, and this colour was a Canada-only colour. Any photos of the car, especially the firewall, trunk, etc. where unweathered paint may be? Also, Chrysler of Canada used lacquer paints up to and including 1942, switching to enamel for 1946.

The serial number, 9482538, falls in the range for the 1938 D10 models - 9478116 to 9486415, for a total of 8,300.

Thus your car was the 322nd D10 Business Coupe built and the 4,423rd D10 model built.

The engine number should start with D10C and be the big 25" block with a 3.375" bore, 3.75" bore for 201.3-cid and 82-bhp.

The DeLuxe Six came in six models (prices in Canadian dollars) -

Business Coupe - $923, #2895

Rumble seat Coupe - $1027, #2995

2-door Sedan - $1029, #2955

2-door Touring Sedan - $1045, #2970

4-door Sedan - $1070, #2970

4-door Touring Sedan - $1086, #2975

No convertible coupes or LWB sedans were available in the Plymouth-based models in Canada. If you wanted either of those models you purchased a Dodge Custom. The Custom convertible coupe, convertible sedan and limousine were imported, by the way.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest imported_Bill-W

One more point. You will need a hub puller to remove the rear drums, but the front drums should come off once the shoes are retracted and the bearings and washers are removed.

The 1938 Dodge, as with all Chrysler products of the era, used Lockheed brakes with an anchor bolt and cam for each shoe. The anchor bolts are at the bottom, positioned beside each other, with an arrow on each. Turn the anchors so the arrows are pointing to each other.

The cam adjusters are located half way up each side of the backing plate. Turn these until the shoes are backed off the drums as far as possible. Turn the drum as you turn the cam to determine which way is which.

As previously mentioned, turn the drum as you try to remove it. You should be able to work it off.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Bill - what a wealth of information, thank-you very much. I am also glad to find a local source of info, as I am in N.Van.

Again, this if very much appreciated.

Mel

I am now trying to track down info on the engine. I found a couple of numbers which hopefully will make sense to somebody.

The number on the top of the head is PT 1120803-9. The zeros are pretty filled in with paint so it was difficult to be 100% sure.

The number on the block is 860229-5. This was found on the lower left hand side of the block, and were only partially visible and partially had to be determined by feel.

Do these number make sense??

Mel

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MelJan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now trying to track down info on the engine. I found a couple of numbers which hopefully will make sense to somebody.

The number on the top of the head is PT 1120803-9. The zeros are pretty filled in with paint so it was difficult to be 100% sure.

The number on the block is 860229-5. This was found on the lower left hand side of the block, and were only partially visible and partially had to be determined by feel.

Do these number make sense??

Mel </div></div>

These appear to be casting numbers. If I am not mistaken, these numbers are raised, that is feel like bumps when you run your hand across them?

The engine number should be stamped into the block. The number should be stamped left side of the engine block, just below the head, at the front end of the block.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MelJan

I looked at that area for the number for the engine and found the number AP 071.

This seems to be an odd number, but does it make sense to anybody?