WTB -- '65 Skylark Electrical Parts

Guest John Chapman

Guest John Chapman

I've been chasing assorted electrical gremlins for quite some time now. Problems seem to be a defective ignition switch and fuse block.<P>Looking for the following parts NOS or known good used:<P>Ignition Switch: Group 2.189; Part # <B>1116663</B> (missed bid on eBay by a dollar frown.gif )<P>Fuse Block: Group 2.483; Part # <B>2989598</B> (w/o p/windows and p/seat)<P>Thanks!<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

Guest Buicklover

John,<BR>I just sent you an e-mail with some info.I found 3 GM dlrs with hits for pt# 1116663,but no hits on pt# 2989598.Hope this help alittle. <BR>Bill

I don't know if the 65 has a fuse block under the hood . The block that the battery cables attach to, for the starter. A small bakelite block with 2 terminals for battery cables and smaller terminal for horn wiring.<BR>I had one that cracked, no start the engine, no horns, searched and check everything, this was the last part I checked, and guess what, put a new one on and everything worked.<BR>Just something else to check, and the easiest<BR>part to get at.<P>Jim Schilf /palbuick@aol.com

Guest John Chapman

Jeff,<P>I did a quick look... it's '67 B body fuse block.<P>Bill,<P>I appreciate it! I'll check them out.<P>Thanks,<BR>John<p>[This message has been edited by John Chapman (edited 09-12-2000).]

Guest John Chapman

Bill,<P>Ignition switch is on the way. Great resource you pointed me to. Thanks!<P>Looks like the fuse block may be a bit tougher.<P>JMC

Guest John Chapman

Jim - Palbuick,<P>I've been checking circuits from each side of the dashboard. No major failures like the junction block, though. Lots of little things, mostly corrosion. I've narrowed the problem areas to the parts mentioned above.<P>With engine on, I get an intermittent 'short' occasionally. This could be duplicated by wiggling the ignition switch/key. All connections are tight and I've replaced the lock cylinder, so it's inside that switch somewhere.<P>The fuse block has me worried, though. Many strange things with fuses and circuits. One is the courtesy lamps... come on with ignition in 'on' and door open, but won't work with battery only. Found fuse missing from block, and replaced. Courtesy lamps work as designed, but now 'GEN' and 'OIL' lamps are on (ignition off, key in my pocket!) Last night, blew wiper fuse and lost courtesy lamps, too. Very strange.<P>A fellow down the street is tearing apart his '67 Camero's electrical system for similar odd things. Discovered the fuse block connections on the back side (away from fuses) were pushed in and had penetrated the wires in the harness behind. Guess this happens when fuse holders get rusty (like mine) and you have to push pretty hard to get them in.<P>Anyone with thoughts/experience with this, I'm open to ideas!<P>John

John, I have a complete harness from a '65 Skylark, from a 4-door GA car. I'll have to go dig it out and see what it looks like and what all is there. Also have some other '65 parts, headlight doors, no grilles, 300 heads and maybe exhaust manifolds, a hood, a few other sheetmetal pieces will get an inventory one these days just taking up space at the moment. <P>------------------<BR>Roberta<BR>BCA TREASURER 2000-2001<BR>BCA PRESIDENT 1998-2000<BR>BCA VICE PRESIDENT 1997-1998<BR>WEBMASTER<BR>1956 Special 2 door Sedan<BR>1966 Wildcats<BR>1968 GS-400 Convertible 4-speed<BR>1970 GSX Stage 1<BR>1970 Skylark Racecar - 11.26, 118 MPH, 7/22/00<BR>1986 GN, 4800 miles