Dash light problems

Guest Reed

Hello all. I have a 1990 Buick Riviera, and it was suggested that I post this question on this forum due to the large similarities between the Riviera and the Reatta.

The dash panel light in my Riviera quit working several years ago. At the same time, the instrument panel lights quit dimming. I replaced the headlight switch, got a rebuilt instrument panel, and installed a new BCM, none of which solved the problem. Finally, I was seaching the web and I found a tehc article that suggested replacing the Twilight Photocell on the top of the dash with a unit out of a house light fixture control. I did this and now the instrument panel dims correctly but I still have no dash panel lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have searched through my factory service manual but I find no mention of a 110 volt power supply for the Riviera dash like the Reattas have. Am I just missing it? Do I need a new 110 volt power supply? Where can I get one? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Ronnie- Thanks. That is one of the articles I found while browsing the web, and it is the reason I tried replacing the photocell.

It seems like I would have a power supply problem, but I can't find mention of the power supplys in my service manual. ASre they in the same place on a Riviera as a Reatta? I read on anothr message board that the dash panel power supply is located above the headlight switch and it looks like a relay but has a 110 v sticker on it? However, it looks llike the dash panel lights are regular incandescent bulbs and not the vacuum-type lighting used ont he instrument panel.

Thanks Jim! Any thoughts as to why my dash lights aren't lighting then? I have replaced just about everything I can think of, except the fuse. I will double check that, but any other possibilities? What are the chances every single bulb blew at the same time?

I went through the on-board diagnostic process this morning and made several discoveries. First, the BS503 test does not make the incandescent lights come on no matter what it is set at. 0 or 99, the lights still don't come on.

Also, I got the following trouble code that I couldn't find in my shop manual: R 61H. I also got trouble code b552H, which would indicate that the power to the BCM long-term memory has been disconnected. I replaced the BCM months ago. Should I ust clear this code?

Do any of these trouble codes relate to the dash panel lights not coming on? Thanks.

Guest MauiWowee

I don't have my book handy, but all H codes are "history". In other words, they have recorded something that happened, not current. Hopes this helps. cool.gif

Yup, and codes with an R prefix are SI[R] or airbag system problems. Not sure what a code R61 is off hand, but it is showing as a history code as well based on your post. Probably one to have checked out, as you never want to need the airbag, but if the worst should happen, it had better work.

Wish I could offer some advice on the lighting issue. Seems like you have already covered the usual suspects.

KDirk

Okay. This weekend I guess I will clear the trouble codes from memory and check the actualcircuit for a short. I can't imagine why it would have developed one. When I bought the car everything worked fine, but over time the lights began not working some of the time, until they stopped working all together. No fuse blew, so I doubt it is a short to ground. I guess I need to carfully check the connector at the BCM.

Thanks for the suggestions.