Steering gearbox '41 club coupe

Garry Phelps

I just disassambled my '41 zephyr steering gearbox,cleaned it and reassembled it. Can someone tell me if I put dope or greese in it. I assume dope,but it had greese. Also thanks in advance because I am sure this is the first of many ridiculous inquiries, as I am just starting to reassemble my project car.

Hey Garry -- my understanding is "neither." Should be a heavy oil, although I don't think it would need to a be a high temp, high pressure type (though it shouldn't hurt). A good 90/130, as I recall. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Garry,

It is possible to eliminate play out of the box in the straight ahead position if there is not excess wear in the bearings. Get a Chiltons or Motors Manual that includes 36 to 48 Lincolns and you can get your box adjusted. There are shims on the box at the end of the steering shaft and there is a screw adjustment on top of the box at the end of the sector shaft. These adjustments must be made in the proper order with the box out of the car and with a proper weight scale. A fish scale in ounces works well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back again,finally got some more time to work on my car. I was going to refurbish the horns, they work properly but I wanted to put in new wires and generally do some preventative maintainence then paint them. How do they come apart because they appear to have some type of rivets but with no back to them? Also is there a proper color to the horns and the steering column? Thanks for the bother I wish had a correct car to use as a model.

Guest rickomo1

will look at color tonight as i remember you are just grounding the horn so it should be 1 wire that connects to both horns, Dont feel bad about the cover i stupidly looked at the first one i did for awhile before i saw the screw.