Rare car, how much is it worth? 1966 Pontiac Lemans Sprint

Rusty Craig

Guest TheCameoKid56

May I add my two cents. Yes, the car is rare in that many of the old Lemans, Tempest, and firebirds with OHC6 fell to the way side due to misunderstanding about oil needs in the upper cam area. Others merely scrapped the 6 for a v-8. Thus so many of these old cars are just gone. The only time I see one is when I drive mine. When at car shows I look for them and have still not seen another for almost 2 years while seeing over 50 GTO's. While this car my have a small following, it may still or never see itself as a real rare car? Know, i did see one on a magizine this month, and it looks nice when good paint is on one.

My dad has a 1966 pontiac Lemans sprint. I guess there were only around 750 produced so it's extremely rare. The car came from CA and has little rust, straight body, and still runs. All original and can still see a little bit of the racing stripe in the paint. Needs work but would be the perfect project car. The VIN is 237176Z600907 Any info would help. Thanks

Hi Rusty,

Hope that GTO is still in the family ...

I see this Thread is over (3) years old

Welcome to the AACA Community .... :cool:

Here is a Pontiac Community Forum where you can get some additional assistance

and information @ PY Online Forums

I hope you kept your Dads' car .....

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Guest prs519

Off the direction of the topic a little, but I would like to vouch for 1966 Tempest Lemans as being very

exceptional in many ways. I had one for a short time; it had the 326 auto and was a super nicely appointed 4 door hdtp. I had a sense that this little car had plenty of reserve, so one night, in the middle of the night with no lights in any direction, I decided to see if it would top 100. It did so effortlessly, and seemed like it still had much reserve, so I stayed into it and was astonished at how easily it topped one twenty and entered the unregistered area of the dial. It had bare tires, but at this point I just had to see what she would do and I am guessing that it climbed beyond 140mph! It still amazes me when I think about it. It was certainly rare in having such a high top end!

The car is rare ,i dont care how many were made, how many have you all seen,I had a sprint 2 bb lemans,changed everything to a 4,what a great moter,i will also add,the valve train sucked,but some new stuff was great,granted,i did mine in the 80,s

What is a Sprint 2 bb ?