1954 turn signal mechanism

Rooster

I pulled the steering wheel and turn signal lever plate off the 1954 to get at the top bearing for lubrication.

When I pulled the lever plate / switch housing off a small roller fell out. It appears that the spring loaded lever has broken off at some time. You can see the lever broken on the bottom left of it's pivot point. That broken piece would have held the roller that moved against the detent cam seen on the housing. What is the purpose of this device ? The two cams on the steering wheel are responsible for cancelling.

The broken piece has long gone. Has anybody got this piece intact that they can take a picture of plus maybe some measurements so I can make a repair.

Apparently this set-up was not offered '55 on. Maybe '54 only or earlier models may have had the same ?

Thanks ---- and Merry Christmas. grin.gif

post-41457-143138028448_thumb.jpg

Now that I've had another look at it I reckon this device is the detent for the Dynaflow gear selector and nothing related to the turn signal operation. The housing with the cam remains stationary while the spring loaded roller moves as you select gears so there is a positive notching effect. Anbody agree with that principle ?

Another thing, this car has had the original Dynaflow swapped to a 1955 model so was there a change in design / location for the gear detent set-up ?

Thanks for confirming that Willie. I just got back from a test drive and all is OK. I reckon that the '55 detent in the trans was working against the '54 detent in the steering housing and the '54 pivot lever lost out and broke off.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. grin.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

does Irene have the 55 throttle linkage with the linkage that goes to the tranny? Hell, I never realized she had a 55 tranny

No it doesn't. The kickdown gizmo is on the side of the trans but not connected. I've seen my mate's '55 linkage set-up and it's complicated. I'm not going to worry about setting it up. With the 3.6 gears she goes very well with plenty of acceleration. That and along with the new re-built carb, new fancy wires, an aftermarket Hi voltage coil and new non-restrictive exhaust system --- Yeehaa.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Looks like it would be a booger to remove, but if you decide you need one, let me know, I have two 55 parts cars left. If you determine you need the turn signal piece, I can help you with that too.

Thanks for the offer on both counts. At the moment I'm happy with the way things are. But I will keep that in mind if I decide otherwise. smile.gif

BTW -- " fancy wires " means ignition wires. The modern, fatter, wire wound induction wires. With the coil they provide instant starting without choke ( no need really in this country for one anyhow ) and give more power.