Your Favorite TC Story (Here)...

psychdee

Hello TC Forum

I thought it would be fun to tell my favorite TC stories and perhaps have members relate their amusing experiences with TC's. I think the confusion about what it is and any compliment is fun.

I have two stories.

A young lady recently said to me about my '91 Triple Black: "Wow, is that something new." This still makes my chest swell with pride (or was it male ego)and a smile crosses my face.

The other story: I'm at a gas station and approached by a young man who, after looking at the TC curiously, said with excitement: "That's something? ...Isn't it?" He did not know what it was but it looked almost definitely special. That for me captures the essence of the car.

One of the worst things you can tell a TC owner is: "It's based on the LeBaron and almost the same."

Dave

(readers may want to look at previous post "Transmission Problem!? that this thread continues.

hi Lou,

Yes i have been reading the Allpar site and it has me thinking of several things. They talk about "bump shift" and need to update the computer software and "retraining" the transmission mentioned in a service update in 1995.

If I am reading this right it is for later models and not the TC? Reading about the fluid for the transmission was confusing. Is it true that we used AFT 3 but now use the AFT 4. Does my problem of not going into overdrive at times possibly relate to getting the wrong fluid or anything else than a clogged solenoid $1000-$2000 job that the shop found? What about the parts upgrades that are discussed. Do I need them?

thanks in advance for any advice.

dave

Guest mark blodgett

Hi Dave,

I like what I read, but I think a lot of the members of the T/C club are unaware of the this forum. Maybe you could cc to the T/C Newsletter to keep everybody in the loop.

just input?

mjb

Hi Dave,

Original trans fluid was ATF+3 this is no longer available an improved version ATF+4 is now used ONLY USE CHRYSLER ATF+4.

If I were having the trans done by anyone other than Chrysler, I would supply my own fluid. Even if my friend Phil was doing it. If Wagner's Garage on Richmond road in Concord is still in business Check with them for a price. Try your best to get an auto shop/trade discount. The Chrysler exchange trans will be fully upgraded. You should also get an upgraded TCM. I bought a '91 with 24,000 miles on it, that had trans trouble. I played with it for a while. I did a little of this & a little of that finally I gave up and replaced the trans & module wit all upgraded stuff. it really works good now. Good Luck, Lou

Here's a good one; My neighbor was being investigated by an insurance company, and in the investigator's report, he noted that my neighbor was driving with me in a "Purple Lebaron" (My Royal cabernet '89 TC). I'll tell ya, that really pi_ _ed me off......

I told my neighbor to use that against him in court..hahah

Guest Wayne in Malvern PA

Pulled into a service station in the TC with a brand new Vette in the adjacent bay - driver even had a matching color coat and hat. I gave him a cheerful hello and went about filling the tank noticing that he kept looking over at the car. Finally he went around back to see the emblems and with a knowing look came over and said, "Trade ya..."

Turned out he had heard about the TC, but had never seen one and couldn't get over what a good looking car it was in person. Made up for at least some of the LeBarron comments.

Dave, you asked;

"Does my problem of not going into overdrive at times possibly relate to getting the wrong fluid or anything else than a clogged solenoid $1000-$2000 job that the shop found? What about the parts upgrades that are discussed. Do I need them?"

If your TC has had the transmission controller replaced, the most likely reason for your intermittent OVERDRIVE issue is the need TO CUT the wire to terminal #49 in the large connector to the transmission controller.

Just cut it about an inch or two from the terminal so you could reconnect it if the need arises.

As far as transmission fluid is concerned, type 3 is still available and there is no great need to use the much more costly type 4 in your TC.

Hi Hemi,

Where is the +3 fluid Available.?? My local Chrysler Parts Mgr. says he can only get +4, & that +4 is a synthetic version of +3.. Thanks, Lou