Parts Manual

Ed Soriano MD

What is the best source of info regarding parts/ part number for my 1956 Pontiac Star Chief 2 door catalina.

I want a manual that also shows expanded view of the vehicle....I mean where a specific part goes into the car.

Saw two books in the web. "Pontiac parts locating guide" and "Pontiac/Vauxhall Master Parts Catalog".

Anyone out there familiar with these manuals or there is a better one besides the above mentioned books.

Thanks

i found a PONTIAC WHOLESALE PARTS CATALOG on ebay. it has a yellow cover and has dozens of expanded pictures and drawings which indicate the group number, not the part number. by referring to the picture and then to the text listing of part-numbers by group, i have been able to identify all of the part numbers for everything i have looked at so far with no ambiguity.

Pontiac sent a Master Parts Book to their dealers to enable the dealers to sell parts. There is at least one printing of the book per year. The books came with illustration (exploded views); however, many dealers would remove the illustrations from the books and file all of the illustrations together. When dealerships get bought often the illustration sections get separated from the text. Make sure when you buy such a book that you get both. Generally, a book will cover the preceding 7 years with really good coverage, and some coverage beyond that (basically the parts which were still in production at the time of printing).

The Wholesale Parts Catalogues are somewhat useful, but much less comprehensive than the Master Parts Books.

Jon.