Just bought this.. what is it?

Guest Bobadi

Hello all, I just joined the group as I bought this old Dodge flatbed truck and am trying to find some info on it.

Does anyone know how to find the year of manufacture by the VIN? I found a tag on the driver door post reading: 4112309576

I really love this truck.

Thanks,

Bob

dodgeflatbed.jpg

Thanks so much for this!

I think I have the 14' bed your book listed. I know I have a vacuum shift 2 speed rear end. I wonder what it meant by "dual purpose" and what the letters; "WFA" stood for?

I also got the following information in an email from:

Dave Fenner

Certified Dodge Truck Nut

www.39-47dodgetrucks.com

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/39-47dodge

"The numbers you provided are the body style (4112) and the production sequence in the assembly (309576) - not the serial number. there should be another plate, larger, (2 X 6 inch oval shaped) right above that door plate. If it is missing, you will find the screw holes where it used to be..

Your truck looks to be a 1946 or 47 2 ton Dodge, likely a model WH. pretty heavy duty work truck. the body style 4112 means is was the style started in 1941, and the same body continued through 1947 - it also means it was a closed cab. It definitely is not a 1939 or 1940 model, but is similar.

The place to find the serial number now, since the ID plate is missing is on the left front frame. Take the left front wheel off, or crawl behind it where you can see the side of the frame on the left front, near the spring hangar, forward. digits will be there etched in, about 1/2 inch high, and will be 8 digits, beginning with an 8 if made in Detroit or a 9 if assembled in Los Angeles"

You guys are really cool to take the time for this, thanks again.

Bob