dynaflow measurements

d2_willys

Any of you Buick Dynaflow experts happen to know the measurements of the transmission, from the bell housing engine mating surface to the extension housing/case surface, to the torque ball retainer, and lastly to the yoke opening on the torque ball u-joint? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks! cool.gif

'54 & '55 are different. Century/Special output shaft and housing are shorter than Roadmaster/Super. Don't remember the difference but when replacing (yet another) transmission for the '54 Super if I could not find a Super/Roadmaster I'd snag what I could and change out the back half. Not much work -- just a nusiance. Don't know about '57-'60 but would not be surprised if they were not the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Brink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'54 & '55 are different. Century/Special output shaft and housing are shorter than Roadmaster/Super. Don't remember the difference but when replacing (yet another) transmission for the '54 Super if I could not find a Super/Roadmaster I'd snag what I could and change out the back half. Not much work -- just a nusiance. Don't know about '57-'60 but would not be surprised if they were not the same. </div></div>

So what you are saying is that Dynaflows had more than one tailshaft/housing length? Do you know roughly what the difference in lengths are? My guess is that the tail/housing has different lengths for at least 57 and 58, since they had two, possibly three wheelbases (limited might be longer than Roadmaster and Super in 58). Will have to check on 59,60 wheelbases.

Any more info u can add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I will now go and look at my 58 manual and see if there is any info and part #'s on the backs of the transmissions.

Boy, if you'd asked in 1965 I'd have known what both were but now... I'm guessing the difference is five inches (the difference in wheelbase) and the torque tube assembly is the same for both applications. Looks as though that would be more expensive than two different transmission back halves but perhaps not? To nail down completely you are probably going to have to find a couple of willing souls to slide under and measure one of each "flavor." smirk.gif Maybe someone will need to change their oil soon and can get the tape measure out at the same time.

Going to pickup a 57 dynaflow from a guy, don't know what car model it is from. But I can probably get a good idea, since I have a 58 Flightpitch dynaflow out of a Roadmaster.

If the twin turbine dynaflow is from the Special or Century I should be able to get the dimensional differences, I would think.

There is a yard across the street from my work, where I am probably going to spend my lunch hour soon. Maybe they have some flows over there. Thanks for your replies.