For Sale: 1930 Pontiac Indian Head Radiator Cap

I have for sale a rare 1930 Pontiac Indian head radiator cap with head band. I consider the cap to be in excellent condition however it would need to be rechromed for show quality. The cap has one very tiny blemish in the corner of the nose otherwise it has not been repaired in any way. The Indian's feathers are straight with excellent detail. I will be bringing this cap and other small parts to Hershey. I will be located in the Chocolate field- space C4D22. Asking price $275.

post-43884-143138007624_thumb.jpg

post-43884-143138007648_thumb.jpg

post-43884-143138007663_thumb.jpg

mp67riv,

At the present time I will hold to my asking price based on a few factors. One did just end on ebay for $300 and I'm below that price which I believe is fair. The basic fact that I should have a lot of exposure at the Hershey show and that this radiator cap in very good to excellent condition is a scarce item. Thank you for your interest. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Dave.

• 1 year later...
Guest kmankmc

just so you understand this cap will not fit 1931 this cap will only fit 1930 and 1929 the 1928 had a small screw on base to fit the radiator the 31 uses a different style radiator cap

kmankmc,

I believe your information is not correct regarding the use of the originally stated 1930 Pontiac radiator cap. The Pontiac Master Parts Book identifies the radiator cap as being the same for the 1930 and 1931 with a part #527698. The 1929 cap is the bronzed faced Indian and its part # is 527187. The Master Parts Book only shows this one cap exclusively for the 1929.

I believe the base diameter is different on the '29 as opposed to the '30/31.

Dave.

Guest kmankmc

just so you know i have a 1928,1929,1930,1931 pontiac radiator caps original's 1928 has a small screw on base 29 and 30 are the same base but the detail on ornimate is very slightly different it is the hair band that goes around the base and 29 has a shorter hair braid the 31 has a larger base due to the different configuration of the radiator shell 29 and 30 have a large raised area. For cap 31 has flat area with larger hole for cap or basically 29 and 30 don't fit the radiator shell and is often the case you find that you cannot always trust what is in the books unless you have original

owners manual's with parts as i do showing the caps dimensions and drawings and the 1931 is new design for pontiac this was a all steel body first year still had wood but drastically different from 29 and 30 which were the last year's of the old design model's i have been a 1929 1930 pontiac owner for over 35 years and fundamentaly have gained a lot of knowledge the hard way by never assume that just because it states a number in a book is fact quite often there were misprints and miss information that back in those days they ran out of parts and used other years and modified them to fit and when it was near a years end model with new one comming on line they used

old and new parts

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just so you know i have a 1928,1929,1930,1931 pontiac radiator caps original's 1928 has a small screw on base 29 and 30 are the same base but the detail on ornimate is very slightly different it is the hair band that goes around the base and 29 has a shorter hair braid the 31 has a larger base due to the different configuration of the radiator shell 29 and 30 have a large raised area. For cap 31 has flat area with larger hole for cap or basically 29 and 30 don't fit the radiator shell and is often the case you find that you cannot always trust what is in the books unless you have original

owners manual's with parts as i do showing the caps dimensions and drawings and the 1931 is new design for pontiac this was a all steel body first year still had wood but drastically different from 29 and 30 which were the last year's of the old design model's i have been a 1929 1930 pontiac owner for over 35 years and fundamentaly have gained a lot of knowledge the hard way by never assume that just because it states a number in a book is fact quite often there were misprints and miss information that back in those days they ran out of parts and used other years and modified them to fit and when it was near a years end model with new one comming on line they used

old and new parts

Actually, I will have to disagree with this. I own three 1931 Pontiacs, three 1930 Pontiacs, and one 1929 Pontiac radiator shell. I also own a full collection of Pontiac radiator caps from 1926 thru 1932. I just went down to the shop and checked-the radiator tube opening on top of the 1929 Pontiac shell is embossed and much bigger in diameter than that of the radiator opening of the 1930 which is shaped (no emboss) and measures exactly the same as the 1931 radiator shell openings. I've always read and been told the 1930 and 1931 Pontiacs use the same chromed radiator cap and the openings seem to agree. The 1929 Pontiac radiator cap was larger in diameter and nickel plated with the screw- attached face that was copper plated.

rareindian you are correct regarding the rad caps. I have owned my current Pontiac since 1959, have ridden in it since 1942 and have also owned one each of:

Series 6-27 "Chief of the Sixes" which had an cap exclusive to it.

Series 6-27 "The new and Finer Pontiac Six" which had the same size threads and the same appearance for the head and warbonnet but had a differently contoured base.

Series 6-28 "The New Series Pontiac Six" which had the same base as the previous series but had feathers rather than a warbonnet.

Series 6-29 "The New Pontiac Big Six" with a bronze faced standard sized baynot based cap with a larger diameter base than following years.

Series 6-29A "Big Six", Series 6-30B "The New Series Pontiac Big Six" and Series 401 "The Fine Six all used the all nickle cap with feathers, a standard baynot base and a slightly smaller base as the hole in the radiator shell had been made smaller.

Pontiac division did not use year designations specifically until 1932. The first 6-27 (with a three step fender) was only oficially sold in 1926. The second 6-27 depending on the date of purchase and the specific rules of that particular jurisdiction could have been registered as a 1927 or a 1928. Likewise the 6-28 could have been registered as a 1928 or a 1929. The 6-29 was almost always a 1929 but some could have been registered as a 1928. All 6-29A and 6-30B were likley registered as 1930 cars and the series 401 were 1931.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Autoaddict

Hello all, Im new here but have been a long time contributor to many Pontiac, Musclecar, Street rod and auto websites.

I recently purchased a 1930 Pontiac 2 door sedan that was a "passed around several times" street rod project. It even spent some time as a local high school body shop project.

But now it is in my hands and will be finished to a dependable cruiser, NSRA particapant. I am not looking to restore it since it has long been picked apart to being basically a body, fenders and frame.

I will be using some of the original items to keep it with that "original" look.

Things I need are a left side headlight ring..(the actual outter ring section of the headlight bucket, not just the inner glass holding ring). Windshield brackets, inside window trim rings, cowl chrome moulding, running boards and a radiator. The rest I will probably be fabricating to street rod level.

If anyone can assist me in this search for those parts it will be greatly appreciated!