Wheel bearing noise

Roadster90

I have developed a roar...apparently left side front bearing....lessens when "bearing" to the right. Replaced the right side a year or so ago. Anyway, Question:

There is a large in diameter and small in thickness O-Ring that was factory installed on the wheel bearing. I think it is nothing more that a dust seal or for "looks" if anything. Does anyone know if it is absolutely necessary please. When I replaced the right side I bought two off of ebay and one of the o-rings was broken. The parts manual does not show or list the o-ring at all.

Thanks,

Nic

Guest Greg Ross

Nic,

I can't see any reason why you couldn't use a bead of quality high temperature sealant in place of the O-Ring.

I am amazed, my '88 with something over 325,000 miles has never (knock on wood) had the front wheel bearings replaced. Continue to pass Inspection every year with no slop, play or noise. '88s' have a different front bearing for some reason, takes a smaller CV Shaft/ outer spline shaft?

Thanks Robert, Nemo, and Greg. Robert, You shall always be KING in the reference, referral, and imaging areas smile.gif. The O-ring fits on the scooped out area right above the 3 bolt holes on the image you supplied. I called a GM Dealer today, and even though it is not in the manual or dealership program, the dealership will try to do some sort of special order deal for me....may or may not work. If not successful I will try Greg's suggestion. Thanks,

Nic

You can also buy kits that have o-ring material of various diameters that can be cut to length and the ends glued for any size o-ring you want. They are strong and used in heavy industry all the time with great results.

Could be expensive. I have used the kits before but never had to pay for them.

Ronnie,

I "think" I still may have the O-Ring that came with the bearing....it was just split in one place somewhere in shipping or mis handling. Glueing this o ring would be the same as obtaining and glueing a generic o ring I suppose....what would you glue it with? Possibly some black RTV? I imagine whatever glue would have to be somewhat high temp....(this is a fairly "thin" o ring.

Thanks,

Nic

The only glue I ever used was the glue that came in the kit. The kit also comes with a fixture to hold the o-ring material while cutting and gluing for perfect alignment of the ends.

The glue seemed to be about the same as super-glue. When the ends touched it was glued instantly and ready to use. I think super-glue will work but I have not tried it. Here is a page that has glue made for o-rings if you need it.