Can anyone TELL if this is a Special or Century?

Guest BJM

Guest Tishabet

Is this the one?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/853124372.html

It's probably titled as a 36 but is in fact a 37.

As far as I know, the major difference between the Special and Century was the engine and the badging. Since we can't see either, I'm not sure which one this car would be.

My 38 has "Special" written within the hood louvers on the side of the hoods. Or you could just ask him to look at the model number on the tag located in the engine bay on the firewall, just in front of where the passenger's feet would be.

Guest ZondaC12

Definitely a '37 Special or Century. The Roadie and Limited had the rear section of the body looking the same as any 1936 model, but the two lower models had an all-new look.

Hi BJM,

The 1937 Buick Special has the 248 cubic inch engine. The 1937 Buick Century has the 320 cubic inch engine. These are two different engines and not a case of the bigger one being a bored out version of the smaller engine. The 320 engine is about 3 inches longer than the 248 engine. Thus, the whole front end of the Century is about 3 inches longer than the Special. Look at the distance from the edge of the front door to the back edge of the front fender on the attached images - The car with the top up is a Special.

A side view photo is needed from the car's seller to determine if the car is a 1937 Buick Special or Century.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138006532_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138006535_thumb.jpg

Hi BJM,

You could ask the seller to measure the overall length of the exhaust manifold. For the Special's 248 cubic inch engine, the exhaust manifold is about 31½ inches long. For the Century's 320 cubic inch engine, the exhaust manifold is about 34½ inches long.

If the car has the body tag plate, have the seller give the information to you and post it on the forum.

Grandpa

Thanks all. I gave up on this thread when Zonda noted it was removed. I have not checked since. The seller was I think do ing a service for the actual owner. That is why when I asked him if it was a Special or a Century, he quickly responded "Delux" so I knew I had someone who would not go the extra bit to measure the hood or such.

For $2200 or offer, and I'll bet this went for $1750 or so if it is sold (not sure now) I would think this is a fair price.

Grandpa wrote:

"The 1937 Buick Special has the 248 cubic inch engine. The 1937 Buick Century has the 320 cubic inch engine. . . . The 320 engine is <span style="text-decoration: underline">about 3 inches longer</span> than the 248 engine.

Could someone measure their engines and post for us the length of a Special engine and the length of a Century engine? Maybe a good reference might be the overall length of the valve cover.

Thanks for your help --- Scott

Guest ZondaC12

Geez ya know if Id only seen this before I came back up here to campus! Well, if no one else does it sooner, I'll measure my 248 for ya when I go home this coming weekend.