50 Olds point's conversion

Guest oldmobile1

Guest Bob Call

Doug

Go to www.pertronix.com and click on the Ignitor logo. Then click on Buy Now for a list of the Ignitor kits available. I believe you will need a #1183N6 for a Delco 8 cylinder 6 volt negative ground. Its on page 3 of the list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Call</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doug

Go to www.pertronix.com and click on the Ignitor logo. Then click on Buy Now for a list of the Ignitor kits available. I believe you will need a #1183N6 for a Delco 8 cylinder 6 volt negative ground. Its on page 3 of the list. </div></div>

how about a 1956 Olds. Did a search but nothing came up

Thanks

Guest Bob Call

Nifty

Go to Pertroinix' website and look for Delco Early 8 cylinder. It's probably 1183. The one that says "Delco 8 cylinder" is for the 1957 and later distriburtor with the adjustment window in the cap.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldmobile1

Well I installed the pertronix, I'm not sure I like it. When I start the car, it cranks and cranks, won't fire till you let off the button. It dose start, but it is different than the points were. Anyone have any experiance with these things?? I do also have a carb problem. Rochester AA. I thought maybe i had week spark, thats why I went to the pertronix. Got a flat spot off of idle that I can't get out. I'll get another zip kit and rebuild the carb again. Maybe got a bad kit?? For the 56 olds, you use an 1183 kit. They are a snap to install, about a half an hour. Doug

Guest Snopack

oldmobile1:

The problem that your having with starting is due to low voltage at the Pertronix unit. I am sure that if you check the voltage at the Pertronix while cranking you will be less then the 4 1/2 volts it needs to work, that's why when you let up un the starter and the voltage increases it will fire. Electronic has a threshold voltage above which it works 100% and below which not at all, Pertronix is approx. 4 1/2 volt.

Check your wiring for good connections and make sure that the battery cables are for 6 volt, should be size 00 for 6 volt cars.

John

Guest oldmobile1

Thanks John, I'll check the voltage. I still have the original batt. cable on the car, it is all original, as is most everything on the car. I'll check all the connections and clean them. I did notice that the points were burnt, and I had just changed them a few days before I installed the pertronix. Only started the car maybe 4 or 5 times pryor. Maybe my coil need's changed?? I not much on the electrical end of things. It appeares I get dumber the older I get. Lazy also. If something don't work, I just close the garage and go in and look for more parts on the computer. Doug

Guest imported_pete324rock

This may or may not apply since you are talking a 6 volt system I believe and I am very familiar with the 12 volt.For those who know this,it is very familiar so I don't mean to insult anyone but if you are using a ballast resistor-in the 12 volt system,when you are cranking,a separate line from the key is fed directly to the coil so it gets extra juice(full 12 volts)rather than the lesser amount available due to the voltage drop across the ballast resistor when it is in the "run" position from another wire fed from the key.It is possible to reverse these leads and have the symptoms of it starting when the key is released when cranking to start.The ballast resistor is used to absorb some voltage drop so that the coil does not heat up,yet it will take some abuse if it is reversed-for how long I am unsure.I wonder if the 6 volt isn't the same since the practicality is similar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Pete

The 6 volt does not have a ballast resistor.

Doug

I would say the voltage to the Pertronix module is too low while cranking. It the battery cables are original (50 plus years old) they may look good on the outside but are probably corroded inside the insulation. Get new cables. Also, I would suggest you get a new high voltage coil, 40,000 volt secondary output for the 12 volt unit. I don't know if the 6 volt unit has that high of secondary output. Pertronix sells one but I think they are kinda pricey. Shop around, you should be able to find one at a reasonable price.

Guest oldmobile1

I've got a pertronix 12 volt coil, will it work with the 6 volt system?? I bought another system for my 51 which is converted to 12 volts. was going to use the coil on that set up. at this point I'm not sure I'm going to do it.

• 4 months later...
Guest oldmobile1

FYI on the pertronix. It got pretty nice here in Ohio this past week end, so I thought I would start the cars and run them a little. I gave the 50 about 6 pumps on the gas, turned the key on for about 30 seconds, (per Glenn's segustion) cranked her over about 6 revolutions, let off the button and she fired up, no sweet. That was a first for this car. Hasn't been started since October. WOW maybe the Pertronix is OK after all. Doug