Oil Filter Magnet

Roadster90

Hi Nic;

Over the years I have used Lee Valley rare earth super magnets. They are not on the car now. I don't know if they really help. I am much more certain that they do not do any damage so there is no down side in my opinion.

The big ones really do have a 30 pound holding capacity and have to be wrestled apart. Have them snap together on your finger and you get a blood blister...they are strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious....are filter magnets really beneficial - worth the effort and money ? </div></div>One thing to consider is any ferrous metal parts that pass by the magnet and are not held will be magnetized and could possibly stick to other metal parts in places that could cause wear to the engine. I feel the oil under pressure in the filter is moving too fast to be held by the magnet over a period of time.

If I used a magnet it would be a magnetic drain plug where the oil is moving more slowly and particles are easily attracted and held by the magnet. Removing it when changing the oil will allow cleaning off the trapped particles in the oil.

Just my 2¢

Guest F14CRAZY

Interesting thought Ronnie...

Another thing is that there's quite a bit of metal in an engine that's not magnetic.

I spose you could drop in a magnet, drive, and open the filter up to inspect it afterward.

Then again, 3800s are 300k+ mile engines WITHOUT magnets

Guest CL_Reatta

Amazing how a magnet in the oil filter saves you gas!.... Amazing how the scientists at the auto companys who are world renound geniusus have been trying to find ways to make cars more fuel efficient and never thought of puttting a piece of magnetic metal into the working of an engine!... what dummys!

blush.gifI have always used magnets in and on oil filters. Everything from my heavy Cat equipment to smaller mowers. On engine oil and hydraulic systems. From low pressure low flow rates to systems in excess of 4000 psi at over 20 gallon per min. They all have worked with no problems.

Now I could not tell you for positive that they would not be just as sound without the magnets… but then I also could not tell you for certain that they would perform as well without filters. I just suspect they do help in the longevity of my equipment.

Oh, and yes I have cut open enough filters to know there is the same small accumulation of powder size particulates at the spots the magnets are located, same looking stuff on the magnets you find inside trans oil pans, would they have been caught in the filter anyway? I don’t know. I do know the magnets stopped them.

So my Reatta and other engines are running with 4 to 6 heavy magnets ni-tied to the outside. KennyV.

KennyV, I also use magnets on all three of my cars. I found a product four years ago that seems to work for me. It's called Filter Mag, and snaps onto the oil filter. I too cut two old filters apart, and did find powder sized particles where the magnet was.