Steakmobile Involved in Craigslist Scam!

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

I put the Steakmobile on Craigslist the other day and within hours I had someone interested. He only asked if it was available and in good condition. He then agreed to buy it sight unseen and would send a cashiers check and then a "shipper". I said okay and then googled him. His latest name is Chris Marcus but is all over Google using different names and the exact text he used with me. He sends a bogus cashiers check for more than the purchase price and expects some moron to send back the diff. The guy is destroying Craigslist and the use of cashiers checks for long-distance transactions. He needs to be whacked. Steak

Guest imported_tyrel

This happens to me almost every time I list something on CL. If you trace their IP address they're always from Amsterdam or Nigeria.

Guest simplyconnected

Avoid Postal Money Orders and Cashier's checks, too. I got a cashier's check, with Wells Fargo's logo. It looked VERY believeable. The Wells Fargo teller was going to cash it until I asked him to verify it.

And, yep! Waaay over the amount it was supposed to be made out for. After emailing the guy, he wanted to 'split the difference' as compensation for my troubles.

Another scam is where they post beautiful classic cars on eBay. At close, they want a huge immediate deposit, but really, the car doesn't exist.

Sorry to hear you're selling the Steakmobile. - Dave

Guest CL_Reatta

Ha Ya... I get about 3 of those a day when I list my car on craigslist.... I usually play along until they go down to the offer with the check and all.... then I send them a very "friendly" e-mail with some very "friendly" words

Guest steakneggs

Is all this the work of one guy/organization? The wording is the same. Why can't he be brought down or at least be blocked by Craigslist? He's a nuisance. Steak

Guest steakneggs

Actually I won't be selling the Steakmobile. Because IT WON'T SELL in the current economic climate. The site is free so I'll let it sit on there; Maybe I'll get lucky. I'll continue to drive it daily until then. Steak

Guest CL_Reatta

There are many different people that do it... from all over the world and country... some even give out a phone number.... They cant really be blocked as anyone can look at craigslist.

Guest steakneggs

I took the scammer's check (which was $1K over the asking price)to the bank to have it examined by the bank peeps. The boss showed me how it was missing the numbers under the bank name (Bank of America) and also the left-most routing number. It was also cut poorly chopping off some words at the bottom. But I bet it could have been cashed or deposited by the average teller with possible disastrous results for anyone stupid enough to wire back the diff to the scammer. FYO-The check came DHL from Pro Groups of Hollywood FL. The payer of the check was listed as Houghton Miffin Co (a misspelled version of the publishing company) from NJ. and signed by Roy Kaplan. I have another scammer interested from AL. Steak

Might I suggest that if you want to play cute back with him, just make out a 'phony' check, something you print up on the computer, take a picture of it and send it to him. smile.gif

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got another $3500 cashiers check today with no explanation! Nigerians love Reattas! Steak </div></div>

HAHAHA, how much over is this check?

Guest Squire Tom

this sounds like great fun over the winter time.

tell the scammers you are sorry but you have a better offer

and see how far they will go

start a bidding war

i'd get a hotmail address and a po box though

Guest Squire Tom

just for grins and giggles , went to craig list , there's a crap load of reattas on that site. only a few listings have expired.

most seem like west coast stuff

Guest Mc_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I won't be selling the Steakmobile. Because IT WON'T SELL in the current economic climate. The site is free so I'll let it sit on there; Maybe I'll get lucky. I'll continue to drive it daily until then. Steak </div></div>

Think you should apply to have the government bail you out like the big boys with all those mortgage backed securities they can't sell in the current market either. There's bound to be a million or so left laying around the office of the "Mother of All Bailouts" somewhere. Bet it appreciates in value quicker than a lot of those mortgages will. As my share of new ownership, I'd like to drive it for a tenth of a second each June until they finally sell it off. (31.5 mil seconds in a year / 305 mil US residents)

Guest steakneggs

I think that the value of Reattas has peaked and will continue to decline along with most 20mpg vehicles that can't haul a family. They're somewhat of a toy, and I believe that there are some dark days ahead for most people. I also have my (1982) motor home for sale while there is some flow of capital out there. Hopefully I won't need it to live in! Steak

Guest F14CRAZY

I feel this is on topic...

Next time you visit a country other than the US (and maybe Canada) take a look at the higher end/luxury vehicles.

The Benz you see in Asia may have an American dealer sticker on its trunk lid...VERY TRUE

Guest steakneggs

I heard that the Chinese are buying Buicks and other guzzlers like crazy. It might be one of the reasons Generous Motors is still afloat. I sold all four of my Porsches to foreign buyers due to the exchange disparity. Steak

Guest F14CRAZY

The Buicks sold in China don't have large displacement engines though. Still looking for a decent Electra or Roadmaster Estate