GM Tire Inflator NOS

NEW1966

If memory serves (and that's a big if), seems like there was one of these that came with a 1979 Chevy Monza that I had. It was to be used to inflate the spare tire which was normally deflated in order to save apace. Hadn't thought about it for years, but will try to find my shop manual to verify this.

DISCLAIMER: I may be totally wrong on this statement.

I think you are right on the application, if memory serves ha ha, the original doughnuts were not inflated and only made to go about 5 miles. They were pretty flimsy and needed to be inflated. I could be wrong too but this seems familiar.

Per 1979 Monza Shop Manual: "All 1979 cars equipped with stowaway spares will have tire inflators. The CO2 inflators are blue on color, and are new in design which makes them refillable, using Tool J-26696. The old inflators, which are red or silver in color, are not designed to be refilled." "CAUTION, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REFILL THE OLD RED OR SILVER (DOT 39) CANNISTERS."

Hope this helps. Assume these were used on other G M's around 1978 - 1979.

Boy, I wish I had one of these thirty four years ago. I bought a 1973 Camaro used 1974. It was my first car. In the trunk was something that I had never seen before, a space saver spare tire. Mounted on top of the tire was a red can containing compressed air or so I thought. I put 55,000 miles on the car driving it to college and around the country. When I sold it in 1981 I took out the spare for the first time to clean out the trunk and what do you think I found? You guessed it, the can was empty! I didn't have a spare for the whole time that I owned the car. The can was scratched up which led me to believe that the first owner used it. It was red just like yours. I bought a new one from Chevy which might have been blue. Before I sold it I put a brand new carb on it from Chevy. Cost me a whopping $55. I wish that I had never sold that car.