Softtop lost it's grip at 55!!!

Tony T.

OK, coming home this morning, cruising down the road, all of a sudden the right top latch lets go and the top nearly blows all the way back! A very eye-opening experience to say the least!

It did not come unlatched (the handle was still closed), but it lost the grip on the post. The J hook feels a little loose, but I've not yet examined it yet to see if it's a simple matter of turning hardware or something more complex...The windsheild post also looks a little chewed up, any suggestions welcome!

TT

Hey Tony,

Inside the Windshield Top Rail there is a reciever the the "J" hook fit into with little to no play. then when you push the handle forward that hook goes up into that round plack reciever and tightens in there.. No loosnes No slack of any kind should be found.. Unless something inside broke there should not be enough room for that to pop out..??? Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghostymosty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last time it was attached the hook probably missed the plastic receiver and grabbed onto the stainless trim piece. If you're not careful that can happen easily.</div></div>

While I can't say for sure this was the case (ie: my fault), I'm normally very careful with the top latch. However it is clear that the original owner let it 'slop' a bit over the years. Are the plastic 'innards' of the latch/alignment holes still available?

The loose J hook worries me though. Not only does the hook turn (not secured in place by the set screw), but the pin holding the hook where it pivots (higher up) is nearly coming out. This allows much more movement as compared to the left side mechanism.

Any suggestion on adjusting the position of the J hook before I tighten the set screw?

TT