Classic Car Motor Oil

Guest jjohnb

I saw the ad/article on Classic Car Motor oil in the Packard's International newsletter yesterday and am considering trying it in my 1929 626. It is a regional project by the Indiana Region of the CCCA and sponsored by the National CCCA. The regional club had the oil developed and produced by DA Oil Company. It sounds good but I haven't heard of DA Oil Co before and am wondering if the best approach would be to stay with a major manufacturer? Right now I use Pennzoil 10W-40. Any thoughts on using a straight major manufacturer 10W-40 or a major manufacturer 10W-40 plus a ZDDP additive or the new Classic Car Motor Oil? Just looking for everyone's thoughts as you are always a great resource. Thanks!

Guest 39Super8

Wow, pretty big deal for a club chapter to embark on the custom formulation of purpose-designed oil.

DA lubricants is a big name in the commercial oil business. This gives me a bit more faith in this project because additives (ZDP and others) and custom blends for cretin applications are prevalent in commercial applications.

As for running in a Packard, I guess you would have to consider a few factors. The biggest area of concern for anti-wear additives is on flat tappet lifters and cam lobes. 39 and earlier Packard engines with roller cam followers (excluding jr. series 6 – 8 cyl. engines) are probably not as effected by cam lobe and lifter wear on the mating surfaces, however from what I have seen, the roller pins and bushings seem to be a very high load – high wear area. This oil could be a benefit in this area. The hy-vo timing chains and gears could benefit from an upgraded additive package.

One factor being what is running an engine oil formulated to have anti-wear properties comparable to levels in older oils worth to a antique car collector? I suppose oil in the store is around $2.00 - $3.00 a quart. High end synthetic is probably $6.00 - $8.00 a quart. From what I gathered on the website, delivered this stuff would be five and change a quart. That’s not bad for a custom blend oil.

I am going to have to say this could certainly be beneficial to our older collector car engines. I doubt that there is any real down shout. As for running in a Packard specifically, I think there could be benefit in engine life. It will be interesting to see how others weigh in on this new (old) oil.

Jim

Guest imported_Speedster

Other than slightly higher price, mainly due to shipping charge, the only Negative I saw was having only one viscosity/weight available (15-40). Here in the south we don't need it that thin when cold. (slightly worn engines with blowby of thin oil)

I think I would use 'tried & true' light-aircraft oil, which is very similar, if I wanted the extra protection, which is available in many weights. If I was putting a lot of miles on the cars, I would be willing to pay the extra price.

I've spoken with a number of alleged motor oil experts over the years and they all pretty much agree that SAE10W-40 is the poorest motor oil choice to make due to the very large concentration of viscosity extenders. I'd think in a warm climate with a Packard engine of your vintage that following Packard's recommendation would be a better route, probably straight SAE20 or 30. I use straight SAE 30 in my 34 Eight here in New Jersey, and normally only drive the car in Spring, Summer and Fall. I've given some thought to just adding some ZDDP to the oil in a "might help, can't hurt" vein.

I read the notice in the Packard publication and called the CCCA number. The gentlemen who answered was very helpful. My concern was the detergents in the oil. I inquired if this oil would be safe in an engine that had used non-detergent oil for years but had a recently cleaned out oil pan. He didn't trust his own judgement, so checked with those he considered more knowledgeable and called back a day or so later. The consensus was that it would be fine in a newly rebuilt old engine, but not recommended for one only partially cleaned up.

I'm using 15W-40 Shell diesel oil in my older cars that have cleaned out oil pans. I bought the oil before Shell decreased the Zinc. It should clean out anything left in the engines. When it is used up, I'll be using the DA oil.

Bernardi

• 2 weeks later...