Electrical Question

TexRiv_63

I preface this question by admitting that electricity is a mystery to me compared with the other systems on a car. I just finished making a new set of battery cables for my Pierce and happened to notice that the battery was installed backwards, that is with negative pole to ground and positive pole hot. The owner's manual shows it should be positive ground. It was set up this way since I got the car so the previous owner apparently changed it at some point. My question is, is this a problem? The car starts and runs fine, the ammeter shows a charge, and everything seems to work, but what type of problems could this cause and if I leave it the way it is will I damage anything? I'm hoping I do not have to redo my new cables, any help is appreciated.

I was debating coming up with a nice joke about electrons flowing differently north or south of the border and your car being wired for the other side of the border.... I probably shouldn't...

While it is not as it left the factory.... If it ain't broke... Don't fix it.

It is possible to return it to its original configuration, but with your limited knowledge of electric wiring, I would leave it alone if everything is working correctly on it.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

The only thing I can think of is if the ignition coil connections need to be examined. Most cars will run with the coil connections reversed although they will run better with the polarity correct. Some coils have markings near the primary (low voltage) terminals showing + or -. With the negative of the battery grounded, the wire from the distributor points should go to the negative or - side of the coil. The wire from the ignition switch should go to the postive or + side of the coil.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

I had a simular experience when I purchased my 36 cadillac.

A previous owner had installed the battery neg ground.

I reversed it and checked everything. The only things that didn't work properly I found were

1. Amp meeter showed opposite ( discharge when charging)

2. Fuel guage did not work

I don't think anything would be dammaged, no transistors or diods in that era .

What about the generator ? does it charge?

Roger

Roger,

Thanks. The generator appears to be working in that the ammeter shows a charge with the engine running. My main concern is possible damage to any electrical components since parts are real hard to find for this car. I have been studying the Dykes manual I just got, so far have not seen anything specific on polarity problems but there is a lot of info there, will keep looking.

if your ammeter is showing a charge it has been converted the right way , there is nothing apart from the radio thatit could affect , and that can be converted easily (if it has not already been done) by a radio technission. i converted my my 54 DeSoto Diplomat in approx 1990 and have had no problems