separate 12 volt starter wiring diagram

b6vt

The v12 on my 48 lc is a hard starter. I've checked all of the connections, I checked the starter, I have checked the newer 6 volt battery all to no avail. Previously, someone in our forum had given info on a "no gain" separate 12v system

with a hidden starter switch under the dash. I'm looking for the wiring diagram and the post--can any one direct me. thanks, Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

JUST FIT AN 8 VOLT BATTERY, YES A 8 VOLT BATTERY. SHOULD FIT STRAIGHT IN, I USE THEM IN BOTH MY 38 ZEPHYRS, HAVE FOR YEARS. DONT NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT INCREASE GENERATER CHARGE RATE 30%. I CONNECT A TRICKLE CHARGER TO THE BATTERY WHILE PARKED IN GARAGE,JUST PLUG IT IN. GIVE IT A BOOST CHARGE OF 40 MINUTES OR SO EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS WITH A PROPER CHARGER, I NEVER HAVE A LOW BATTERY AND THE V 12 STARTS RIGHT UP EVERY TIME. LIGHT BULBS ARE GENERALLY RATED 6-8 VOLT. I HAVENT BLOWN ANY YET. MY LIGHTS ARE GREAT, HOW OFTEN DO YOU DRIVE AT NIGHT ANYWAY? THE IGN. COIL IS SELF BALLASTING WITH THE BALLAST RESISTORS. PROVIDED THE ELECTRICS ARE IN REASONABLE CONDITION I FIND 8 VOLT BATTERIES WORK GREAT, ALMOST TURNS OVER LIKE ON 12 VOLT. YOU CAN SWAP TO 6 VOLT BATT. ON JUDGEMENT DAY IF YOU THOUGHT THEY MAY NOTICE. I HAVE A 12 VOLT SOLINOID ON THE DRIVE SHAFT OVERDRIVE, THE 8 VOLT BATT. EVEN OPERATES THAT O.K. GIVE IT A GO, HAVE FUN.

BY "hard starting" i assume you mean it turns over ok but doesn't want to fire? If this is the case then I would first check the distributor. Points may be dirty/burnt, not opening far enough. The coil may be "weak" and /or the contact brushes not making good contact with the rotor and the condensors should also be checked along with the rotor. The spark plug wires get brittle with age and crack causing short circuits with in the conduits. The ignition systems for these cars were designed for and ran well with 6 volts. The only advantage to adding more volts would be to spin the engine over faster.