1939 Lincoln Zephyr

Guest DADDIO65

Guest DADDIO65

Hello,

I just aquired a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr. It as been in a sealed barn for over 30 years. It has 32,640 documented miles. Rust free, Paint is in immaculate condition. Interior needs some cleaning. No critters have been in this little find. My problem is... What is this car, are they worth anything? Is it worth holding on to?? Any info would be most helpful.

Guest DADDIO65

it is a 4 door, the 12 cyl was removed and replaced with a flat head V8. done right, no cobbling....seems to be all there, when it was stored in 1978 the DOT inspected it and documented tha miles, so I know they are true. The gentleman that owned it said the V12 was a powerless wonder so his local dealership helped him install the V8.I wiped away the 1/2 of dust and before they stored it they waxed the daylights out of it. It shows, I can still see my reflection in the paint!I thinks it will clean up really nice....gotta please the wife smile.gif

Guest Bob Call

Cool, Daddio

At that price you couldn't go wrong. With the V8 it won't be as valuable as a collector car as it would be with a V12. So, discount the prices quoted above.

Yes the V12 was waaaay under powered so the swap to the Ford V8 was very common in these cars. But, to find one in good shape is a real find. If it were mine I would keep an eye out for a V12 engine and have it rebuilt and installed. It still won't be a top doilar car for collectors as the motor number won't match the registration. Ford products through 1948 used the motor number as the registration number. If you have friendly "car crazy' DVM people in your area you may be able to re-register it with the new motor number.

Lucky you!!!!!!!

DADDIO,

You are one lucky bas...<span style="font-style: italic">guy!</span> Any more nifty cars in that barn? Your Lincoln will make an awesome Tour Car, but if you want to replace the Eight with a Twelve, the Motor Number range for '39 L-Z 12's is H-64641 to H-85640. From your description of the car's condition, I wouldn't care if it was powered by hamsters in exercise wheels!

Cars like these don't come along every day, and with it you and the wife should get years of driving pleasure. And, just in case, if you ever want to sell it, I can afford $100 down and 10 cents a week.

Happy, Happy Motoring!

TG

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks for the info. I am picking it up Sunday morning, I can't wait, I think my dad is more excited than I am. My kids want me to take themto school in it!!!!

Guest DADDIO65

ok now I kinda know what I got.....where the heck does a guy find parts for these darn things..moldings, carb kit, fuel pump diaphrams that will handle today's gas... Thanks for all of your help and comments!! I'm getting really excited about it now.

Guest Bob Call

Daddio

You can buy every part of a Ford flathead V8 brand new! They are the really cool "in" motor with the hod rod crowd so new parts are everywhere. Many of the mechanical parts on the Lincoln interchange with the Ford and Mercury. There is one company that makes new 39-40 Lincoln brakes for the hot rod industry.

Does this car still have the original "floor" shifter? Back in the day hot rodders scoured the salvage yards for Lincoln transmissions as the first gear was not as low as the first gear in Ford/Mercury transmissions, so Lincoln grears were transplanted into the Ford/Mercury transmissions. An aftermarket item often found on 39 and 40 Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns was the electrically shifted Columbia two speed rear axle. This acted as an overdive. Might take a peek underneath. The Columbia does not have the typical Ford trumpet axle tubes on both sides. It has a big cylindrical tube on one side that contains the overdrive mechanism.

Get a catalog from Speedway motors http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

They will have what you need for tuneups or a complete engine overhaul.

Also check The Carbureter Shop http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

The have rebuild kits for your carb or they will rebuild your carb.

Enjoy you new friend.

Guest DADDIO65

Well, I got it running after rebuilding the carb, and fuel pump, purrs like a kitten. The original shifter is there, all lights work, instrument cluster works..except the speedo...missing the needle( where can that go to get fixed) brakes all good, parking brake good....horns loud as heck. if any one has any ideas where to get a speedo cable and the speedometer repairs I'd be most greatful. The flat head v-8 is a 1950, so my dad says judging by the width if the belts. Heck, even the trunk light works...not bad for 800.00 I guess. But any help would be most appreciated...I am mor of a 60's car nut so this really old stuff gets ne really confused. Thanks to all for their input so far, you are much appreciated....Car clubs??? Blair, NE.??

Guest Bob Call

Daddio

Try Redline Gauge Works in Santa Clarita, CA, phone 661-269-8891, www.redlinegaugeworks.com. They can put a new needle on your speedo and probably have a cable. Should be same cable as on Fords and Mercurys and should be easy to find.

If the engine has the narrow 3/8 inch vee belts and a regular round distributor sticking up on the right front, radiator hoses to the front of the heads, it's a 49 to 53 model. This model Fords have 8BA on the heads and Mercurys have 8CM on the heads. If it has the wide 5/8 inch vee belt, the generator on the top center of the engine, radiator hoses to the center of the heads and the distributor front center on the timing cover, it's a 48 or earlier.

Since you are in Blair you need to go to Speedwasy Motors in Lincoln and visit their Museum of American Speed. A treat for any car nut even if you are not a hot rodder.

Guest DADDIO65
smile.gif thanks a ton, great information it is in fact the earlier Ford version. I'll keep redline in mind when it becomes time. I really appreciate it!!

• 2 weeks later...