Neighbor has non-ABS Teves cousin on derby car

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

It's time my neighbor get out of the demo derby business. He already has to deal with a scarcity of carbureted full-size derby candidates. He has to gut EFI equipped clunkers and move the gas tank inside hoping he didn't eliminate some sensor wire or some essential thing that needs to work for ten minutes. I usually help him when it gets close to the local derby event. His early 80's Buick had the m/c off and laying in the trunk. For some reason he bought another one at a junk yard for $80 (!) and installed it. It has an elec motor, an accumulator, and a control valve but a conventional m/c. My son helped him with it yesterday get it operational. Find out today if the boost works. Steak

Guest steakneggs

I'm just trying to make the point that things used to be simpler and all this newfangled stuff like EFI and Teves' could prevent demolition derbies from becoming an Olympic sport. Steak

The major difference between the Reatta Teves brakes and the Grand National is the lack of ABS.

If you look at the Grand National parts, they are marked with the same "logo"... strongly suggesting they came from the same source (Teves)

The Grand National unit was used on that car because there was a concern for the lack of vacumn to operate a conventional power brake. Turbo and supercharged cars have pressure in the intake, not vacumn when the car is under boost, so this creates the requirement for a hydraulic boost.

There was a similar problem on the V8 diesel engines used in cars (GM) in the late '70. This was solved by using a vacumn pump.

Guest steakneggs

This bucket of my neighbor's is no Grand National. It's a station wagon. The pump is located several inches under the m/c. The accumulator sticks out the driver's side of the m/c and the control valve points upward. I'm gonna help him tonite and I'll get a better look at it. Steak

Guest steakneggs

My neighbor gave me the old m/c to examine. It's missing the pump and accumulator. It has a reservoir real similar to my Riv unit. Even the m/c is similar except it has an accumulator port and a port for the pump line. I was looking for the logo that makes a hand built two-seater obtainable for $2K but didn't find anything but numbers. Steak