How to remove '46 Lincoln ignition key from junkyard car?

shart

This question has I’m sure a simple answer but its important to me and I’ll explain why. I’m going to remove a few parts from a ‘46 Lincoln in a closed junkyard later this month. The car belonged to a close relative and its too far gone to restore. One of the things I want to remove is the ignition key from the switch. When I was there in January it was stuck in the straight up-and-down position and I couldn’t budge it. I’m pretty sure the key has to be turned one way or the other, left or right, to be removed. The question is which way and how much turn,. i.e., ¼, ½ or a full 360-degree turn to possibly remove it? Also, will I have to pull out or push in the ignition switch on the dash to enable the key to turn first? Keep in mind this car has been in the same junkyard for 40-plus years. I’m going to take some spray lubricant with me when I go and hopefully won’t break off the key. I know nothing about these cars so be detailed and descriptive with your answer please and Thanks for your help! Steve

Guest imported_V12Bill

I agree, with ignition switch pushed in, turn key clockwise 1/2 turn and remove. You will probably have to jiggle the key up and down in and out and left and right to get it to move. PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil will help a lot.

Thank you both. I will give it a try. To answer your question, 1948 Lincoln, the car has been in this junkyard since 1961. It is sunk down to its frame and is way, way far gone. If it weren't I would buy it and restore it because its a family car. The junkyard is closed to the public anyway. Hardly anyone gets in and cars are being crushed on a routine basis. No pics. Thanks again!

Well, when you go and get the key take some pics.! Especially since it is a family car and all, and make sure and post them on here with the history of the car! Would love to see them and hear your story! Just out of curiosity, why do you want the key?

Will do. The hood ornament (a non-stock swan/bird), front license plate and key will be personal mementos to remind me of when I used to ride in the car with my late cousin. This was when I was about 6-8 years old. I'll be 55 in Nov this year. The car will eventually be crushed and I want to save these few items from it before that happens.

Save whatever else you can as well, If there is anything of substance left, there is a guy called Merv Adkins in Pomona,CA who might be interested in it for parts of the body, if it is not all gone. Is the car completly rusted out? Body? Frame? Because if the frame was rusted out and the body isnt you could put a new frame on it. And is it a Continental or plain Lincoln? and when are you going to get the stuff? But make sure and post pics! Would love to see it!