'90 Maui Blue Conv. is at $18,997 and 4 hrs to go

Guest Greg Ross

Good! This may be proof to Shiloh and others who arbitarily declare that a Reatta is not worth what it sells for. I bought an identical, one-owner, 42K Maui Blue '90 convertible a little over a year ago, and paid $11,000 with log and all records. A few more miles, but this one couldn't have been nearer-perfect. Prices for primo Reattas (especially convertibles) are indeed going up; we all should rejoice, not criticize.<P>Jerry

It is a 435hp, tri-power, but a L71 (it has cast iron heads). The L89 was the 435hp, tri-power with aluminum heads. The L88 was a 4bbl motor although it produce much more HP in reality. GM did disclose the HP at about 430, but they played with the numbers by stating it at a lower rpm. Apples to apples it produced closer to 500hp. The rarest of all was the L88, all aluminum block. Only two were made. A L88 aluminum block car in this condition would far exceed $100,000. As it stands now I valued this car at about $40,000 - $45,000 - it has had a total frame off restoration and is museum quality.<P>By the way Jerry, "plasic cars" what are the front fenders on the Reatta made of? <P>I have located a 1991 Reatta convertible silver with gray interior with about 70,000 miles for $16,000. Need to seriously consider this one.<P>One final note! Can someone tell me really how bad is the cowl shake in the convertible? I have heard many stories.

Shilo: Just kiddin'... Vettes are made of plastic; Reatta front fenders are made of toxic waste. (I've had seven '90 convertibles and would judge cowl shake to be about average for a unibody (frameless) car. If you've driven the new Thunderbird, you have some idea...<P>Robert: Couldn't disagree more. I have my original '55 Bird (123K miles) and there is NO cowl shake. The car sits on a thousand-pound station wagon frame that had a convertible X-member welded in. The car is as rigid as...well, as rigid as... (about here, Barbra Streisand starts quietly singing "Memories" in the background....) <P>Jerry wink.gif" border="0

[color:"blue"] Trailer Queens get special treatment, such as quasi living rooms (check out the concrete floor and garage door in background.) It ain't Topkapi, friend; use it, don't enshrine it.

Jerry wink.gif

Corvette bodies are largely fiberglass, or SMC (sheet molded compound), not plastic. There is a big difference between plastic and fiberglass.

Oh, gee, thanks for the clarification... And I also thought tin cans were made of tin, not steel. Next someone is going to tell me that plastic sprinkler pipe is actually made of polyvinylchloride (pvc).

The Village Idiot