one eyed Reatta

Keith Carruthers

Just for anyone finding the headlight bellcrank wallowed out. I didn't have time to order a steel replacement that Barney offers,(had to drive tomorrow in dark) so I put 10-24thd.x 5/16th set screws in mine(#23 drill bit 0.154in.) This job requires taking the bellcrank off and drilling and tapping the holes for the set screws. This can be done by removing the center plastic shield between the two light assemblies. Then the four torx screws that hold the plastic shroud around the sides of the light. Now remove the four phillips screws holding the headlight ring and disconnect elect. socket and remove sealbeam lamp. Remove the 10mm link bolt that connects the end of the flat link arm to the headlight carrier. The bellcrank can now be pulled off its shaft. You'll notice that the flats on the shaft align to where the short,flat, stop arm extension meets the bellcrank hub. Mark the end of the threaded shaft so you can tell where the flats are after putting the crank back on later. Don't drill at the arms...drill your hub hole 90 degrees from the arms so you can use an allen wrench to tighten later. Since the headlight motor circuit uses a circuit breaker to stop the motors on up or down, you can rotate the shaft flats anywhere and lock it down with your new set screw or screws. I used two, 180 degrees apart. If you drill right on the center of the hub where the casting line runs, your screws will fall on the flats. This location allows you to tighten the sets after the arm has been put back on the shaft. Use the manual knob to move the flats to the best place for installing the crank and tightening the sets. This job is easier if you remove the whole hanger frame of the headlight piviot, but can be done on the car. You may have to file away the remaining flats inside the bore of the hub so the shaft can be rotated to the set screw locations.

ESTAVER.

What you did will work…. For a while. That will soon fail, depending on how often you run the lights up and down.

Order the parts from Barney while the temp fix is working, then you will be all set when you need to swap them out. KennyV.

Bellcranks are $40 each including shipping and instructions.

I also have a bellcrank KIT that includes a bellcrank, three rollers, and a plastic UP-STOP nut for $45 including shipping

The KIT has everything you need to repair a defective Reatta headlight.

Send a check to the address below.......If you prefer to use PayPal, I will accept that if you include the 2.9% they take as

their fee.... my Paypal address is Barney@texas.net

Barney Eaton 20111 Deerfield Dr Georgetown, TX 78633 512-869-5114