Those stupid Finns!! Any tips? Trailer from Minneapolis to.. ??

Mika Jaakkola

I have been looking for a car. An old one. Again.

The one that atracts me is located in Minneapolis. OK, it's "regular" model car, not rare, not a real classic, it doesn't even run. But it's a kind a car that were used in Finland before IIWW. Actually there has been quite number of those, but all have been rusted away(well, the most atleast).

I'm just thinking the options to <span style="font-weight: bold">get the car to the coast</span> where it could be shipped to Finland.

What are the available options? Is it ALWAYS expensive to do?

I know atleast that there are guys in Okeechobee,Florida, in Houston, Texas and in LA, California that ship the cars to Finland, but the road for those places from Minneapolis is loooong...

Any suggestions? How and Where? You guys know better than me!

Someone might ask why? Well, it's just me and my hobby whistle.gif

Guest ken bogren

Maybe look into shipping the car from Duluth (on Lake Superior), that's only 150 miles from Minneapolis. I don't know if there are any shippers there that could do this from Duluth, but worth looking into.

I would look a little further and see if you could ship entirely accross the great lakes to a seaport on the St Lawrence seaway. Maybe Toronto, Montreal, Quebec.

I am sure there are a variety of shipping companies that can handle your transportation needs; you might want to start on your end and work backwards. Check with companies in Finland that receive shipments from the U.S. and ask them for references to companies that they do business with here. Within the past year a relative of mine in Sacramento, California has sold two cars and both went to buyers in Europe. One car was sold to a buyer in either Finland, or Norway, the car was trucked to Long Beach, CA and loaded into a cargo container. The second car was sold to a buyer in Lithuania; the car was trucked to New Jersey and loaded into a cargo container.

In both cases the buyers worked through a broker in the U.S. who made all the transportation arrangements. One buyer picked a broker in New Jersey and the other used a broker in Los Angeles.

Guest stude8

There is a port of shipping to Europe at Chicago, IL. Chicago,IL is 400 miles from Minnesota. You would probably find car trailer service from midwest operators more inclined to transport from MN. to IL.

The port is on Lake Calumet, the Calumet River connects to Lake Michigan where international ships come via St Lawrence Seaway across other "Great" Lakes.

Some time ago there were many cars being stolen in Chicago area and the local TV station learned they were turning up in Poland with in weeks!! They sent camera crew to Poland and filmed cars with Chicago and suburban village vehicle tax stickers still displayed on the window glass being sold there.

So shipping must be economical from Calumet Harbor. Stude8

• 3 weeks later...