Has Anyone Ever Heard of F.W. Vogler of Portland, OR?

jeff_a

I've been doing a little reading about Peerless cars and ran across this name. Mr. Vogler was involved in managing stage lines in Idaho from about 1880-1905, but also was a distributor for Apperson, Auburn, and Reo autos when President of The Northwest Auto. Co. of Portland in 1909. "F.W." was the first person to drive a car to the town I live in, Salmon, ID. The car was a 1904 Peerless Model 9, and the story about his drive over the Continental Divide in his car made it into the 1905 Peerless catalogue called "A Peerless Achievement".

Hello, Jeff.

I checked the on-line catalogue of the AACA Library & Research Center ("LIBRARY" icon on the AACA home page). Nothing under F.W. Vogler however, we have the following listed when I used the "Northwest Auto Company" as a search word.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Marque or Author Jordan, Philip D. (Philip Dillon), 1903-1980

Title: National Road.

Published: Indianapolis, Bobbs-Merrill Co. [1948]

Description: 442 p. illus., map (on lining-papers) 23 cm. </span>

On a daily basis, we are listing more literature so please do not assume the above "National Road" book is the only info we retain.

Our AACA Library & Research Center is our repository for thousands of books, periodicals, tech manuals for automotive research. We retain a wonderful staff that could research your query to the fullest:

Click on "Library" under "Resources" within the header of this page and submit a research request. (Self explanatory steps listed).

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE: As an AACA Member you are entitled 1 1/2 hours of "free" research time per year by our staff. The $10 processing fee still applies. May be well worth your effort to submit a Research Request.</span>

OR...

Kim Miller, Librarian

AACA Library & Research Center

717-534-2082

kmiller@aacalibrary.org

Regards,

PJH...

Thank you for the suggestions, Peter.

I'm a former museum person myself, and realize that the AACA facility is a great resource. I just haven't used it much, being a new member. Sometime I will send the Library & Research Center a raft of questions about obscure topics, undoubtedly. I promise not to ask anything too obscure...like "What Year & Make of car did Jeeves & Wooster ride in when they used a taxi in New York during the 1990's BBC comedy series?" *

If it weren't a 2,000-mile drive, I'd be over there a lot, in person, doing research.

----Jeff

* A 1927 Peerless 6-80 Landaulet