84' Buick Riviera V6 4.1 litre Fill Quantities

Marius

Hi! I need some informations for my car, i have no service manual, no information about fill quantitiy for motor and transmission oil! What oil for the 4 speed Automatic Transmission do I need?

Thanks Marius!

Marius,

I did not have an '83 owners manual, so I used my '82 manual. The manual did not reference how much ATF it needs, only to fill and keep checking the dipstick. On the crankcase capacities I've scanned that section and emailed it to you. Your engine code in your VIN number should be 4, for the 4.1 V6 which should be the 8th character of the VIN.

My 1984 Buick All Series Chassis Service Manual specifies DEXRON - II Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent for the automatic transmission/transaxle. The capacity is listed as 11.75 quarts if a full overhaul is being done, 4.86 quarts if you just drop the pan.

The 4.1L engine holds 4 quarts of engine oil with a filter change, and somewhat more with a new filter. No exact amount is listed. I guess you would need to pour some in and check the dipstick.

I hope that this info helps.

11.75 quarts is the required amount if you are doing a full overhaul of the transmission. This would mean the total disassembly of the transmission and the removal of all of the fluid. If the pan is drained, such as for a filter change, then only 4.86 quarts are called for.