Teves problems

harry yarnell

Just bought a beautiful '89 Eldo with 'brake problems'.

The fluid reserovoir is full (to the top). Pump runs for a few seconds. and quits. Pedel sqishes 1/2 way before getting brick hard. Poor braking action.

Disconnecting the power connector to the pump, and jury rigging another connector to 12 volts to run the pump constanty, produces no level change in the resorvoir. and no change in the pedal. What's wrong?

Guest Mc_Reatta

What does the red brake light do during all this? Is the supply line from the reservoir to the pump clogged? If red light goes out when pump stops running that would seem to indicate that it has pressurized the system and it and the pressure switch are working. If the light never comes on or never goes out then pressure switch is not working or pumps not pumping. (This assumes it can draw fluid from the reservoir.) Usually if the accumulator is not working properly the pump will run most of the time but you'll still get a few pumps of the pedal before the red light comes back on and the pedal gets hard.

Guest crazytrain2

Pain in the a@# is putting it mildly.

However, take the lid off of your resevoir, have some one pump the brakes (engine off, no power) the fluid level should rise as you depressurize the accumulator by pumping the brakes. If no rise in fluid level it means theres none stored in the accumulator. This would in turn indicate A) bad accumulator, or 2) pump is shot, or III) faulty pressure switch - or d)All of the above. Worse yet could be dirt in the hydraulic assembly causing main. So far my experience has been once you have a problem with this system, you can never get everything fixed on it again.

Sorry for the gleeming report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry yarnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought a beautiful '89 Eldo with 'brake problems'.

The fluid reserovoir is full (to the top). Pump runs for a few seconds. and quits. Pedel sqishes 1/2 way before getting brick hard. Poor braking action.

Disconnecting the power connector to the pump, and jury rigging another connector to 12 volts to run the pump constanty, produces no level change in the resorvoir. and no change in the pedal. What's wrong? </div></div>

The first step with the Caddy or a Reatta is go to Reatta.net and take the brake test. Then report the results here...

Guest steakneggs

There's a filter in the reservoir that gets clogged. Mine was. Supposedly it can be flushed with rubbing alcohol. Pull off the hose at the pump and check for flow from the reservoir. That nasty braided line can be replaced with a piece of rubber vacuum line which is easier to remove next time. I stuck a small screwdriver into the reservoir port and pushed the filter up into the reservoir out of the way. I never got a chance to try it because I scrapped the whole system. Steak