Blown head gasket?

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

I just got my 91 Reatta last Monday. Today I was trying to figure out how to get rid of my MAF code. I decided to check my coolant, because it seems that I have had to add some every day to the reservoir. I took the cap off of my radiator and the coolant was right to the top. I put the cap back on. Then the scary thing happened. I started my car and had it running for a bit. Next thing I know the idle sounds rough and the car smells like antifreeze. I looked under the car and found a large puddle of antifreeze developing. It was leaking off the engine block right below all the serpentine belt pulleys on the left side of the engine. I could not find a hose where it might have been coming from so I am afraid of the worst, either a blown head gasket or a cracked block. Anyone here have any idea from past experience if it could be the gasket? My oil is not cloudy from antifreeze contamination, but the inside of my radiator cap seemed to have some oily residue on it. I am very mad that this kind of thing is happening so soon.

JCRULZ

Guest Mike_s

It might be the small (bypass?) hose under where the power steering pump and alternator meet, right about where the belt tensioner is.

Guest Drake

Don't panic yet. From your description, the coolant might be coming from the water pump. The oily residue inside the radiator cap could be from the previous owner, using stop leak. Stop leak used for a minor exterior leak till you can get it repaired (A Day Or Two), would be acceptable. It's not a cure all.

Another hose to check, is the water pump bypass hose. It is a small hose from the top of the water pump to the intake manifold. Directly under the alternator.

After the engine has cooled down, hose off the front with a garden hose. Refill the radiator, start it up, & check for leaks. Hopefully it's just the hose or water pump. Neither are very hard to replace. Good luck.

Almost forgot, there are two heater hose pipes in the same location. The heater hoses attach to them, & then to the intake manifold. They only have o-ring seals holding back the coolant (had to replace both of mine about three months ago). These are a pain in the a#@ to change.

Guest steveskyhawk

If it were a simple leak like the above posters suggest it would still run smooth. My guess is that it is an intake manifold gasket. I replaced mine on my vert just before it failed to the inside. Note that it did leak to the outside yet still ran smooth. Upon inspection of the gasket when removed it was very close to putting coolant into an intake port. Good luck.

Guest Greg Ross

Quite doubtful it's a head gasket unless the odor of Anti-freeze is coming out the tailpipe in the form of steam. I think head gasket failure tends to be more between coolant channels and one cylinder. I think Steve has nailed it with his suggestion about the intake manifold gasket. On the '91 changing the gaskets (also replace the throttle body gasket) is not that bad a job.

In this case, (looking for a fluid leak), it is not a very accurate test. Water can leak out in areas where there is no intake vacuum present to suck the combustible fluid in.

A better test would be to pressurize the coolant system. You can buy a kit that will connect to the radiator cap and includes a pump that will apply pressure to the system. Then you will be able to find the exact spot where the coolant is leaking from.

Pressurizing a cool system is a lot better than having to look for the leak while the engine is hot and under pressure.

Guest jcrules78

Thanks for all the input guys, it ended up being my water pump that went. I had that replaced along with a full coolant flush and a new radiator cap. Now I am trying to figure out why I am flashing a constant 41 cam sensor code. What the hell is a cam sensor and why would that code show up all of a sudden?

Any ideas?

jcrulz

Guest steveskyhawk

If you are lucky it is only a matter of putting the wire back on. The cam sensor is near the water pump.